“Campus Cats: Shanice Curtis, Communications junior”

How did you spend the long weekend?

My family came down and saw my dance performance. I just did a lot of rehearsals and went to the MLK celebration.

How did you participate in the MLK celebration?

I went to the Tucson Children’s Museum. They were doing something for MLK Day and I did a dance there. Also, the celebration that was at Reid Park, I helped participate by doing the Obama shuffle, which is like a line dance, like the electric slide.

How long have you been dancing?

Since I was in fifth grade.

What type of dance do you do?

The one I did over the weekend was African/Brazilian, so it’s like a combination of both. I do hip-hop, jazz and ballet.

How did you get into dancing?

I went through sports, the whole basketball and softball thing, and didn’t like it. I became a cheerleader and I just found dance through that.

If you could have one magical power, what would it be?

I just saw the movie “”Jumper,”” where he jumped to a lot of different countries. I think that is what I would be. I would be a jumper.

What is your idea of happiness?

Being totally confident within yourself and being comfortable with your family, your loved ones and your friends.

What makes you feel confident with yourself?

Knowing that I am taking the right steps towards my future, as far as going to college.

Who is your role model?

My grandma. My grandma is a very kind person. I go to her with any problems that I have. She usually has something inspirational to tell me and she’s been through a lot. She was married at 17 and had four children by the age of 21. Through all that she got her college degree and so did my grandpa. It’s pretty inspirational.