Staff Picks

Arizona at Washington

David Blattman, Sports Writer
    Can you picture a Husky pulling a big, heavy sled through desert-like temperatures? Not a chance. If you don’t understand this metaphor, let me break it down for you. Huskies are sled dogs that live in very cold climates, the opposite of what you would find in Arizona. Therefore, a Husky would have serious trouble making it out alive in Arizona. The Wildcats will have no problem with the Huskies and will simply sleigh them . . . I mean slay. Sorry, I’ve got snow on my mind.

Arizona 24, Washington 3

Vincent Balisteri, Sports Writer
    Last time I picked Arizona they let me down when they lost to New Mexico. I guess I fell for the bait after the Idaho and Toledo games. It has been the same thing with Arizona football the last few years: Every time the Wildcats appear ready to get over the hump they find a way to disappoint. They simply haven’t gotten it done when it really counts. But they should win against a Washington team whose starting quarterback is out.

Arizona 31, Washington 17

Nick Sturiale, Sports Writer
    The Wildcats are coming off their bye week looking to stay among the top teams in the Pac-10. They should have no problem this weekend against Washington, probably the worst team in the conference. Jake Locker has not had the kind of year he was projected to have and the young defense has been a complete letdown. Willie Tuitama should have his way with a defense that has given up 279.25 passing yards per game this season.

Arizona 42, Washington 24

No. 23 Oregon at No. 9 USC

David Blattman, Sports Writer
    The Trojans are coming off a disappointing loss against OSU, but they haven’t lost against a ranked opponent at home since 2001. Justin Roper will probably be back at quarterback for the Ducks, and the less time he has the ball, the better. The Ducks are going to have to rely on their running game with the duo of LeGarrette Blount and Jeremiah Johnson, who ranks fourth in the nation with an average of 308.6 yards per game on the ground.

No. 23 Oregon 24, No. 9 USC 21

Vincent Balisteri, Sports Writer
    USC hasn’t lost back-to-back games since 2001 and it won’t happen this week. Anyone that believes that the Trojans will lose this weekend need to make a doctor’s appointment ASAP. With the Trojans coming off a disappointing loss, and looking to get back in the national title picture, there is no chance for an upset. I expect the Trojans to come out with the swagger they showed when they smacked Ohio State around. This game will get ugly, just like the Ducks’ uniforms.

No. 9 USC 49, No. 23 Oregon 6

Nick Sturiale, Sports Writer
    The Trojans are coming off a pitiful loss to OSU last week and look to bounce back with a big win Saturday. Unfortunately for USC, that big win will not take place this week as they play an Oregon team that is severely underrated. The Ducks have the best offense in the Pac-10 and the eighth-best in the country (536.4 yards per game). While the Trojans might be the more superior team on paper, the Ducks will recycle those theories and continue the Oregonian curse with an upset over USC.

No. 23 Oregon 41, No. 9 USC 38