Alamo Bowl likely to go to Washington

Arizona’s loss on Thursday was worse than just losing against rival ASU. The 30-29 double overtime loss also likely knocked Arizona out of the Valero Alamo Bowl. Although nothing will be official until Sunday when the bowl announces its team selections, it is likely that, with a win, Washington would be the Pacific 10 Conference representative according to Valero Alamo Bowl representative Steve Wagner.

“”With a Washington win and an Arizona loss we’d have to look at the matchup,”” Wagner said. “”Right now in the (Big) 12 we’re looking at Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Nebraska and Missouri all sitting 10-2. So you want to look at a matchup, you want to look at a team that is coming off several wins as opposed to a team, as in this case, that has come off of several losses.””

After the loss, head coach Mike Stoops said that where the Wildcats (7-5) ended up was not a concern to him.

“”Not really worried about it,”” Stoops said. “”Wherever we end up, we end up.””

The Wildcats have lost four straight games since beginning the season 7-1. Arizona would have been an “”obvious choice”” for the Alamo Bowl, which will be held on Dec. 29, but instead it is likely to be selected to the Bridgepoint Education Holiday Bowl, held on Dec. 30.v