Police Beat: February 11

When your best isn’t good enough

A non-UA affiliated man was taken from outside McKale Center to Pima County Jail and then to Saint Mary’s Hospital, due to extreme intoxication at 9:05 p.m. on Feb. 6.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer came into contact with the subject at a police command post after the Stanford basketball game at McKale. Upon meeting the man, the officer was informed of an outstanding warrant from the Tucson Police Department.

The man was under the influence of alcohol, the officer was told, but appeared to be physically fine. His warrant was confirmed and he was put in handcuffs, and then placed in the back of a patrol vehicle.

While en route to jail, the subject began vomiting in the backseat.

“I’m doing my best back here,” he said, before proceeding to vomit.

When exiting the vehicle after arriving at the jail, the man was unsteady on his feet and nearly fell face first into the ground. The officer then laid the man down in the back seat of his patrol car, where he then passed out.

A nurse from the jail evaluated the man and informed the officer there “was no way,” the jail would book the individual in his current condition.

Due to the man’s extreme intoxication and treatment he was receiving, he was taken out of custody and an ambulance took him to St. Mary’s Hospital.

“Creeped out” in California

A UA female professor contacted UAPD regarding offensive emails she’d received at 3:59 p.m. on Feb. 6.

The “creepy and offensive” messages were from a non-UA affiliated individual. According to the report, the woman knew the messenger from school in Nova Scotia, Canada back in the ‘70s but said the two hadn’t gotten along or spoken in years, prior to the emails.

She said she didn’t fear for her safety since the man lived in Canada, but felt “creeped out” and uncomfortable by the situation, so she wanted it documented.

The woman couldn’t meet police because she was in California, but forwarded UAPD the email. The message talked about how the man didn’t approve of the professor’s research, educational background and their past encounters together. The email was then documented in UAPD evidence, but police were unable to contact the suspect.