Police Beat: Oct. 28

Man runs out without paying for cab fare

University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to the parking lot east of Coronado Residence Hall on Oct. 19 at 10:30 p.m. in reference to a theft of services.

Upon arrival, officers met with a cab driver who told them that a man who had identified himself as “”John”” had failed to pay his $12 cab fare. He told officers that he picked the man up at 5255 E. Broadway Blvd. at approximately 10:10 p.m. The man requested to be driven to Coronado.

Upon arrival, the man presented an invalid discount coupon. When the driver refused to honor the coupon, the man exited the vehicle and fled on foot. The driver did not wish to press charges and told police he would not be able to identify the rider.

Long-boarder pockets pens

UAPD officers were dispatched to the UofA Bookstore on Oct. 20 at 10:46 a.m. in reference to a shoplifter.

Upon arrival, officers met with an employee who led them to the video surveillance room. Police viewed the surveillance footage and observed a man take a package of pens from a rack and exit the store without paying for them. According to police, the man was 6 feet tall, blond, wearing multicolored shorts and carrying a long board.

Officers were given a copy of the surveillance footage and a receipt for $4.34 for the total value of the pens, both of which were placed into evidence.

Feather stolen from statue outside of Main Library

UAPD dispatch received a report from UA Facilities Management on Oct. 20 at 11 a.m. in reference to a larceny at the UA Main Library. According to the report, a bronze feather was removed from the Fritz Scholder statue on the north side of the building. The feather was a replacement that had been welded to the statue three years ago at a cost of $5,000. The feather was last seen at 4 p.m. on Oct. 16. According to police, the feather must have been forcibly removed. It is unknown whether the statue suffered any other damage and police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Money reported missing from Park Student Union

UAPD officers responded to the Park Student Union on Oct. 20 at 4 p.m. in reference to a report of a theft.

On arrival, officers met with an employee of Core Restaurant. The employee told police that he was a supervisor and that he believed a larceny had occurred sometime between Oct. 12 and Oct. 20. According to the man, a money count was last performed on Oct. 12.

When a money count was conducted on Oct. 20, it was discovered that $125 was missing. The money is stored in a locked cabinet in a room in the union. It is accessible by all seven employees of the restaurant, but the supervisor does not believe any of his employees would have taken the money. Police have no suspects or witnesses at this time.

Suspicious solicitor intimidates woman

UAPD officers received a report on Oct. 20 at 4:29 p.m. of a suspicious person on campus.

According to the police, a woman reported being harassed and intimidated by an unknown man as she was walking toward the Student Union Memorial Center.

The woman was on the east side of Old Main when the man casually approached her. He began asking her questions about her leather bag. He commented on how finely it was made and the woman allowed him to hold it as they walked. The man then began asking questions about money, and he told the woman that he worked for Habitat for Humanity and was collecting donations.

The woman commented on how well dressed the man was and informed him that she had no cash to donate and that she only carried credit and debit cards. She took her bag from the man and stepped away from him as she continued walking toward the union.

The man followed her, telling her that he would be willing to go with her to an ATM so that she could withdraw the minimum donation amount of $50. The woman began to feel uncomfortable and tried to ignore the man.

He informed her that he was going to be at a Habitat for Humanity booth on the UA Mall on Oct. 21 and that he would look for her and find her. She asked the man for identification and credentials. He told her she needed to be more trusting of men and that she needed a man in her life.

He stated that he still wanted a donation and asked the woman why she wouldn’t go out with him and if she had a boyfriend. The woman felt intimidated located a police aide at the union. The woman gave officers a description of the man but they were unable to locate any suspects.

Police also discovered that Habitat for Humanity was not scheduled to have a booth on the UA Mall on Oct. 21.