Baylor Shuts Out Arizona

The Arizona softball team’s bats were mysteriously absent in the first tilt of the three game series against No. 22 Baylor.

The Bears’ sophomore pitcher Whitney Canion gave up just one hit in a 6-0 shutout of the Wildcats.

Arizona could muster only four base runners all night, with their only hit coming from center fielder Lauren Schutzler. This continues a trend in the Wildcats’ inability to get hits against quality pitching. They now have just one combined run in their three losses this season.

Kenzie Fowler had her first sub-par outing of the year, giving up six earned runs in 4.2 innings of work, including three Baylor home runs.

Freshman pitcher Shelby Babcock was a bright spot for the Wildcats, allowing only one hit in 2.1 innings of relief work.

The Baylor series was billed as the beginning of the difficult part of Arizona’s schedule, and if Friday is any indication it may be a difficult Paific10 Conference season.

The loss was also the Wildcats’ first at home this season, a place that they had hoped to make formidable for the competition. A near-sellout crowd of 2,373, however, could only watch helplessly as the Wildcats were beaten soundly by a Baylor team that Coach Mike Candrea had previously described as similar to Pac-10 competition.