Arizona women’s golf loses to Oklahoma State but defeats Ole Miss in East Lake Cup

Sean Gundu

Hole at a golf tournament, featuring the University of Arizona golf team. 

The Arizona women’s golf team dropped one tight match last Tuesday and won the second last Wednesday in the East Lake Cup. They lost 3-2 in match play on Tuesday to Oklahoma State, and then beat the University of Mississippi the following day 3-2. 

Arizona tried to mount an impressive comeback as Caitlin Whitehead forced a 19th hole play-off trying to win the overall match but ended up falling short, conceding the team match as a whole. 

This was the team’s first match play event of the season and head coach Laura Ianello was not one bit disappointed in the group’s performance. 

“I was proud of how all five of our players competed in our first round of match play this season,” said Ianello.

Ya Chun Chang had a dominant performance Tuesday, as she had her match finished up after the 14th hole, beating Caley McGinty of Oklahoma State. 

Lilas Pinthier won the team’s second match of the day after being behind 1-0 after the 13th hole and regaining the lead on the 15th. 

Related: Arizona finishes sixth overall at prestigious Annika golf tournament

Carolina Melgrati, Pinthier and Chang all secured victories against Ole Miss, with the team securing the day two Match Play victory. 

Chang and Ole Miss’ Ellen Hume had a close match the whole way to start the day, as Chang did not gain the lead till the 15th hole, resulting in her second victory of two through the tournament. 

Arizona will try to take this day two momentum into this week when they participate in the three-day, Pac-12 Preview tournament event in Hawaii. 

Follow Patrick Carr on Twitter