“Richmond man, 29, dies; found hanging in Fort Bend jail “

A man arrested on suspicion of drunken driving died after he was found hanging in his jail cell in Richmond Sunday night, officials said.

Richard Hollas Rogge, 29, was discovered hanging from an air vent with his undershirt in his cell about 9:15 p.m., according to the Richmond Police Department.

Police said he was rushed to Oak Bend Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead about 10 p.m.

Rogge had been in the jail on Rogge was being held for suspicion of Driving While Intoxicated 2nd Offense (Open Container), and Fail to Stop and Give Information after leaving the scene of an accident.

Rogge, of Richmond, was taken into custody when an off-duty officer saw him involved in a traffic crash at Austin Street and South Second Street, but he allegedly drove away without stopping.

The officer followed Rogge and pulled him over at in the 100 block of Highway 90A and called the police department.

An on-duty officer arrived and detained Rogge on suspicion of driving while intoxicated as well as leaving the scene of an accident.

Rogge was taken to the Richmond City Jail and was placed in a holding cell while he waited to be transferred to the Fort Bend County jail.

When the officer went to the holding cell to take Rogge to the Fort Bend County jail, he saw him hanging inside.