W-golf takes second in Wildcat Invitational

In what seems to be a recurring theme this week, ASU pulled away from the Arizona women’s golf team yesterday in the second half of the Arizona Wildcat Invitational.

The Sun Devils (8-over-par) gained separation from Arizona (20-over-par) and Stanford University (27-over-par) after both teams trailed by only three strokes and four stokes, respectively, following the first round. Stanford finished third, but shot a horrendous 302 (18-over-par) in Tuesday’s second round. Arizona didn’t fare much better, shooting a 10-over-par 294 in the final round, an identical score to its first-round mark.

The Cardinal didn’t have an individual score higher than 2-over-par on the tournament, and the Wildcats’ lowest scorer, Margarita Ramos, notched a 145 (3-over-par) on her way to finishing in a tie for seventh place.

Oklahoma State sophomore Caroline Hedwall claimed individual honors, shooting a combined six-under-par for the tournament.  ASU’s lowest tournament scorer was Juliana Murcia (1-under-par), but the Sun Devils got consistent play from four of their five golfers, four of whom were top-10 individual finishers.

ASU shot eight strokes lower than the next lowest-scoring team in Tuesday’s second round, and was the only squad not to shoot double-digits over par in either day of the tournament.

After being originally scheduled for 54 holes, Monday’s rain shortened the tournament to 36 holes — one round on both Monday and Tuesday.

UA will continue the spring season on March 1 in the Bruin Wave Invitational, a three-day event co-hosted by Pepperdine and UCLA.