Career fair showcases business of sports

The sports management minor at the UA is launching its second year at the upcoming Sports Career Fair, which will be Thursday, March 4.

The Career Fair features an array of guest speakers currently involved in the sports industruty through sales, law and communication coming to the UA to speak with students about sports-related careers.

The sports management minor was founded by Stephen Gilliland, with the help of accounting senior Christopher Moran, and launched in the summer of 2009.

A majority of the courses required for a sports management minor are offered during the summer and winter. The UA recently started offering the courses during the spring semester.

“”What we are doing by layering on these courses of sports management is giving you an understanding of the sports business,”” Gilliland said.

Students pursuing a minor in sports management must complete six courses, including sports communication, sports marketing management and sports administrations and planning.

Students can also choose to obtain a sports management certificate, which only requires three courses.

Those enrolled in the sports management minor are mostly business majors, but also include psychology, journalism, communication and sociology majors.

“”This is really getting students to understand the business of sports. It means something different to be a sports fan and … to be in sports business. That certificate gives them that understanding, and the second thing it gives them a big resume boost,”” Gilliland said.

Eller business students can’t pursue the minor, but are encouraged to earn the certificate if they are interested in the sports industry.

The Career Fair will be an introductory program, allowing prospective students a glance into the business side of sports. It will begin with an open panel discussion in the James E. Rogers College of Law room 164 at 3 p.m. on March 4.

“”We want to have a open panel discussion with all the guests talking about who they are, internship opportunities they have and how to make it in the business,”” Moran said.

The program will then break off into smaller sections in the Berger Auditorium, where the speakers can talk directly to interested students.

“”If someone was interested in talking to a specific speaker, they can go talk to them one-on-one about internships or any advice they might have. All these speakers are more than willing to help. They are very connected with the U of A and it should be a great event,”” Moran said.

Ross Gasmer, an undeclared sophomore, is enthusiastic for the Sports Career Fair and is enrolling in sports management courses.

“”I am excited to take the classes over the summer, and it is a good opportunity to expose myself to the business side of sports,”” Gasmer said.

The sports communication class is currently being offered this spring, and students in the class are scheduled to attend a NASCAR race in Phoenix.

The class will meet a team owner, a team communication director, a driver and get a behind-the-scenes look at how a NASCAR event runs.

There are currently 200 students enrolled in the sports management minor at the UA.

As the program develops, more classes will eventually be offered during the fall and spring semesters.