Seniors party it up with one last post-finals hoorah

After the time put into classes, papers and final exams this semester, most people are ready to party. But if you happen to be a graduating senior – then there’s even more of a reason to celebrate.

J.T. Carroll, a senior majoring in biochemistry and molecular biophysics and molecular and cellular biology, said he’s basically taken the last three weeks of his college career off.

His last test was two weeks ago, and although his majors sound intense, his semester has been lighter than usual. His classes include two general education courses and physical chemistry.

“”I worked really hard before so I only had to take 12 units this semester,”” Carroll said. “”I’m trying to enjoy college for once.””

For the end of the year, his parents said they wanted to throw Carroll a party – one that might end up

costing $1,000.

Spending $400 on hard alcohol alone, and renting a

If you think about how many hours of work you’ve put in this university, you deserve to celebrate.– Daniel Churgin,
    microbiology senior

margarita machine at the suggestion of his mom, the bill is already more than $500.

Add in a keg of Coors Light and a couple cases of beer a little more prestigious than Coors, and it’s certainly going to be a close call.

Carroll and his two roommates are infamous for having a piÇñata at their parties, and this one will be no different. This time, Carroll said he is planning to buy at least three.

One of the traditions they have for filling the piÇñatas is to put in random, funny things such as condoms or mini shot bottles of alcohol, in addition to candy. But this time it’s going to be even better.

“”We might put something like a hundred bucks in one of them this time,”” Carroll said.

Although it might sound like a pretty awesome party already, this isn’t even the

beginning.

Carroll and his roommates have a beer pong table – standard college fare – but try an air hockey table.

“”Drunken air hockey is pretty good,”” Carroll said.

Carroll plans to party all through the night and even partake in a graduation tradition of going to local bar The Buffet, 538 E. Ninth St., at 6:30 a.m.. It might be a struggle for him to actually show up for the ceremony.

“”If I go to sleep, I’m not going to wake up,”” Carroll said. “”I’m going to make it to the graduation, hopefully.””

Carroll is not alone.

Daniel Churgin, a microbiology senior, said his parents are throwing him a graduation party featuring an open martini bar, with 100 guests expected to come.

“”I thought it would be fun to do a huge variety of martinis,”” Churgin said.

The party will also be catered with bartenders and a food menu.

Churgin said his fraternity, Delta Lambda Phi, also will be hosting an “”Iced Out Graduation”” party at Ice Night Club, 6350 E. Tanque Verde Road.

Although Churgin said any reason to throw a party is a good reason, graduation parties are special because they acknowledge the hard work students have done.

“”If you think about how many hours of work you’ve put in this university, you deserve to celebrate,”” he said.