Mailbag

Campus community can help young scientist shortage

In her Monday column, Lori Foley pointed out that there’s a shortage of new students planning to major in science and technology. We’re doing something about it in UA outreach programs that bring the excitement of science and engineering to kids in local schools. Get involved!

And if you play racquetball, leave your dead balls (to be frozen in liquid nitrogen and shattered) in our donation box in the Student Recreation Center.

Bruce Bayly
    mathematics professor and co-founder of The Physics Factory

HPV can be largely prevented by condom use

I appreciate Ariel Serafin’s attempt to educate the campus community regarding HPV (Tuesday’s “”Sex Awareness Erases HPV Myths””), but the article misses several critical elements. While it is true that only some types of HPV cause cervical cancer, many other types can cause warts on the extremities and the anogenital region, which while usually treatable should not be taken as lightly as the column suggests. Since April is STD Awareness Month, it also surprised me that the author did not mention prevention of HPV transmission. Like most STDs, HPV transmission can be markedly reduced, but not eliminated, by condom use. Careful and regular condom use is quite effective in protecting yourself and your partner. Sex education must do more than just dispel myths; it includes a frank discussion of transmission, infection, disease, treatment and prevention.

Chris Deibert
    medical student

McClellan only followed Bush

Learning of White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan’s resignation yesterday got me inspired – riled, if you will. On a campus wrought with misguided political fervor, I beg people to take notice of this passing, and think beyond partisan prejudice … for a minute. According to CNN.com, McClellan told President Bush during his Rose Garden adieu, “”I have given it my all sir and I have given you my all.”” This is the truth and I applaud him for it. McClellan has dutifully acted as White House mouthpiece for some two years and change. He will in fact continue until a replacement is found. His unflappable support of the president, regardless of your political leanings, exemplifies the passion and idealism we can only hope imbues our public servants and children. The man made no policy, only somehow reported it with a straight face. Amidst a White House “”shake-up,”” his loyalty has been rewarded with, euphemistically, an opportunity to explore new endeavors. The infamous Karl “”The Emperor”” Rove as well has been “”shaken,”” although not completely poured. McClellan has never been elected to political office, save for a report I found claiming him student council president of Austin High School some decades ago. Rove’s elected political career was not quite as illustrious or existent. Yet McClellan and Senator Palpatine, W’s mouth and right hand respectively, have been lopped off like so many of Bush’s other gangrenous limbs. Thus, my questions are these: When do we hold liable those we elected?

When do we give up amputation, and simply look towards euthanasia? When do 62 million people swallow their pride, admit their mistake, and stop following these terrible leaders? I can’t say John Kerry or a half-blind lemur would have done any better, but either would have had a real tough time doing any worse. In the end, I ask you all to pity Scott McClellan. Furthermore, if you voted for President Bush, maybe think about applying for the job. Don’t you want your name and face associated with the current White House? No?

Noah Pollock
    creative writing and linguistics senior

Terror drill wastes community’s time

April 12 at 11 a.m., just after leaving class in the Physics and Atmospheric Sciences building, I received a phone call from one of my friends telling me that my residence hall was being evacuated for a drill. I immediately wondered what exactly he could be talking about, as he had mentioned that it was not for fire purposes. After a little investigation, I found that it was a practice drill on what to do in the case that a rapidly spreading disease appeared on campus. It didn’t take much thought for me to realize just how ridiculous this drill was. Many students in the area of North Park Avenue and East Second Street were kicked out of their house and home … for a drill! Not only were students kicked out of their residence halls, but many classes were also affected. For example, my friend later told me that her test had to be pushed back. And this was no short drill, lasting a little over two hours in the middle of the day when most students need to be exiting and entering their dorms to retrieve materials for class. The worst part of it is that because it was performed in the middle of the day, many were in class and missed out on the drill entirely, completely ruining the point of even having a drill. I just think that from now on the university really needs to think about the consequences of its actions prior to doing something irrational like this.

Daniel Cheslic
    civil engineering freshman

Christian holidays given unfair attention in Wildcat

I agree with the letter Tuesday concerning unfair coverage of religious holidays and events in the Arizona Daily Wildcat. Throughout the year, there have been countless non-Christian holidays and religious events that have occurred, yet the Wildcat has failed to provide adequate coverage of these events. When the Islamic holiday of Ramadan rolled around in September, there was no extravagant display advertising this holiday in the Wildcat. Also in early October, when Yom Kippur rolled around, again there were no special advertisements directed toward this holiday. Oh, but when Easter and Christmas rolled around there was a lot of coverage directed toward them. The Wildcat needs to give each major religious holiday equal proportions in the paper because the UA has many students of different backgrounds who celebrate those holidays. It’s understandable that the Christian holidays are given more attention, seeing as how the U.S. is a predominately Christian nation, but the U.S. is full of many different races and religions that also deserve to see their holidays and events celebrated on a level equal that of Christian holidays.

Loren Bryant
    business management freshman

Bilingual education shouldn’t be limited to Spanish

I am writing in response to Jonna Lopez’s letter about bilingual education. I agree with Lopez when she expresses the importance of bilingual education, especially within a state that shares a border with Mexico. And in a perfect world, bilingual education would be an effective way to educate children in Spanish and English. In reality, though, there are not enough resources to finance these programs. Schools in Arizona are already underfunded, and adding more programs would make the situation worse.

I also agreed with Lopez’s point that our nation is a melting pot and is full of many different languages and cultures. However, I felt that Lopez expressed favoritism toward speaking Spanish as a second language. Not everyone has the need or the desire to learn Spanish, but it is necessary for people to know English when they come to America. This is for their own benefit so they can get a job or find a place to live. It would be wrong to imply that the whole nation should work to accommodate those people who do not take the initiative to learn the language of our country. Sure, learning a second language is important, but a person should choose which language he or she wants to spend time learning. Not so they can aid people who choose not to learn English.

Erika Starks
    molecular and cellular biology freshman

Protests not limited to Hispanic students

A letter was recently published that claimed the recent protests by a mostly Hispanic crowd only furthered the negative stereotypes of Latinos and that the main reason they demonstration was carried out was to skip school; I cannot disagree more with this assertion. I wholeheartedly believe that these protests were in the absolute best interest of my people and in no way created any negative repercussions. It is our right as Mexican-Americans to demonstrate against injustices that are occurring or are likely to occur. The author of the Tuesday letter titled “”Walk-outs reinforced stereotypes of Mexicans”” claims that the student protestors didn’t understand both sides of the immigration issues and that the main reason the protesters participated was to skip school. In addition to this absurd declaration, the author insisted that this benevolent protest intensified the stereotype that Hispanics don’t value education. Considering his points made and the actual circumstances surrounding the public display, it is evident that the author of the published letter is the one who does not understand the situation. The protesting crowd wasn’t composed solely of Hispanics. The crowd was marching in objection to unjust immigration movements and composed of minority immigrants. Even Caucasian protesters participated in the demonstration, so to say that these national objections created a stigma around only Hispanics is ludicrous. In order to create a credible argument against stereotypes, one should stay away from generalizations, something that the author clearly does not understand. Furthermore, by demonstrating, the students showed exactly how much they do value their educations. If they didn’t fight for their rights, some of them might not be able to receive an education in the future. This is something that bothered us, so we took to the streets to fight for our right to an education and immigration. Protesting is not a crime; actually, protesting is a right of ours that is protected by our beloved Constitution, so participating in it does not show disrespect for the law. Personally, I am glad that the protests took place. If they hadn’t, if students hadn’t walked out, and if we hadn’t boycotted, how else would our voices have been heard as effectively? This public display is very effective and perfectly legal and has worked in the past. Would anyone tell African-Americans their public transportation boycotts and marches gave them a worse name? That their desire to be treated with dignity was futile? Of course not, so why tell Hispanics/minorities that now? One thing is for sure, if people in the past hadn’t stood up for their rights, we would not be where we are today. That is why I am proud that the minority communities around the nation came together, and I pray that the protesters are protected. I also hope that the author of the letter realizes the severity of the situation and his comments. The last thing we need is division in our communities.

Luis Humberto Barraz
    molecular and cellular biology freshman