Ianello leads with discipline

After seven months, women’s golf head coach Laura Ianello has the team ranked No. 10 in the country after a hot start.

In Ianello’s first semester as head coach, the Wildcats have had a top-five finish in all four tournaments they’ve participated in.

Before Ianello took over the head coaching job, she was a top assistant in the program for three years. In her last year as assistant, the team placed fifth in the NCAA women’s golf championship.

Ianello is a former Wildcat, playing for the team from 1998-2003, and played under Laura Myerscough. During her time in the desert, Ianello racked up one national championship in 2000, and three straight Pacific 10 Conference championships from 2000 to 2002.

After her hot career at the UA, she spent five years on the LPGA tour before joining the women’s program.

Director of golf and head coach to men’s program, Rick LaRose, was the one who hired Ianello, and, according to him, it was a no brainer.

When asked if Ianello was his first pick for the job LaRose responded, “”Absolutely, she did a very good job this semester.””

According to the coaching staff, many of the girls even pushed LaRose to offer the job to Ianello.

“”Coach did a great job, she made the transition really easy for the girls,”” said assistant coach Justin Silverstein.

Silverstein went on to explain that the change from assistant to head coach can be very difficult but Ianello made it easy for everyone involved.

“”There (was) a little adjustment period,”” Silverstein said. “”Anytime an assistant becomes a head coach it’s a little different role. She can’t really be their best friend anymore, she has to be in more of a leadership role.””

Ianello used the upperclassmen to help the transition. One of those upperclassmen, junior Isabelle Boineau, helped with the ‘internal leadership’.

“”She implemented a new way to practice with more direction,”” said Boineau. “”She made us practice more on our weak points of the game.””

Boineau said that Ianello is much more disciplined which has helped the team succeed thus far. The team did need to adapt to Ianello’s coaching style but there have been no issues.

“”Everything changed from last year,”” Boineau said. “”Last year we had no rules, we could do whatever we wanted. We are way more disciplined in our work on the golf course.””