The Best of Police Beat

The Pi Kappa Phi fraternity house, 1449 N. Cherry Ave., was vandalized during the night of July 1.

A fraternity member called police to report recurring criminal damage.

On June 22, unknown persons entered the fraternity during the night, sprayed the communal fire extinguisher on several doors and took the extinguisher with them. The incident was not reported at the time.

During the night of July 1, unknown persons drove onto the front lawn, broke two sprinkler heads, disconnected the light bulbs in the main hall and sprayed more fire extinguisher discharge in the fraternity house. The persons then left the missing fire extinguisher in the courtyard. A door to a room inside the house was kicked open, although nothing was missing.

There were no signs of forced entry during either of the incidents.

Police have no suspects.

Two UA students were caught smoking marijuana in the Second Street Garage, 1340 E. Second St., at 3:09 p.m. June 28.

An officer conducting a security check of the garage observed two men sitting on the ground with their backs against the wall on the top level of the garage. The officer could see that one of the men had a hand-rolled cigarette in his hand. As he approached the men in his police car, the officer could smell marijuana.

The officer exited his vehicle and asked the two men what they were doing. The man with the rolled cigarette in his hand replied, “”We’re just taking a break from studying,”” according to reports.

The men, both 20 years old, admitted they were smoking marijuana and handed the cigarette to the officer.

The officer put out the cigarette and partially opened it. Inside was a combination of marijuana and tobacco.

The two men agreed to have their backpacks searched and no other illegal items were found.

The students were diverted to the Dean of Students Office for use and possession of marijuana.

An officer arrived at Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall, 910 E. Fifth St., in response to reports of possible marijuana use at 10:08 p.m. June 25.

A residence assistant escorted the officer to the fourth floor. Upon leaving the elevator, the officer immediately noticed a strong odor of marijuana in the air. The odor intensified outside a room in the hall. When the door opened, the smell further intensified.

The officer asked if he could speak to the two men in the room, both 18 years old. He noticed that both students had red, glassy eyes with extremely dilated pupils. He asked them to stick out their tongues and could see that they both had a green tinge on the back of their tongues.

The officer told the two that the room smelled like marijuana and asked if they had smoked marijuana in there. After hesitating, they both admitted to smoking marijuana in the room.

When the officer asked if they had any paraphernalia, one of the men removed a small baggie of marijuana and a green apple made into a pipe from his duffel bag.

Both men were cited and released for possession of marijuana. The male who took the pipe out of his bag was also cited for possession of paraphernalia.

Sigma Pi fraternity house, 1525 E. Drachman St., was burglarized sometime between the hours of 11 a.m. June 21 and 10:30 a.m. June 22.

A student called police Sunday after returning to his room to find some of his belongings were missing. When he had left the day before, he locked the room’s door, the student said. When he returned the next morning, his door and window were open. Missing from the student’s room were a laptop, an iPod, a cell phone and six bottles of cologne.

The students said that a large number of people frequent the house, and the doors are rarely locked.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

An officer patrolling the Tyndall Avenue Garage, 880 E. Fourth St., noticed a vehicle with a broken window at 2:58 p.m. June 16.

The driver’s side window appeared to have been smashed in by a rock that was sitting by the vehicle. The car doors were locked and a backpack, duffel bag and guitar case in the backseat appeared to be untouched.

The officer could see a bag of marijuana and a pipe in the center console of the car. The officer also found a driver’s license in the car.

The officer found the owner of the car in Arizona-Sonora Residence Hall and drove him back to the car. He was cited and released for possession of marijuana and paraphernalia. The pipe and the marijuana were taken into evidence.

A man was arrested for shoplifting and criminal trespass at the UofA Bookstore, 1209 E. University Blvd., at 2:45 p.m June 13.

A bookstore employee observed a 23-year-old male take a pair of $15 aviator sunglasses off the shelf and place them into his pocket. The man was also caught on security tapes stealing the sunglasses.

The man told an officer that he was a UA student and had no intention of stealing the glasses, but that he had placed the glasses in his pocket to buy them later. He then picked out some books and got in line to purchase them. The line was long, though, so he placed the books down and walked out to have a cigarette, he said.

A records check showed that the man had a warrant and was not affiliated with the university. The former student had been expelled from the UA for threats he made in February and was not allowed to be on UA property. The man confirmed that he had been “”given the ax”” from the UA and knew that he was not allowed to be on campus property.

The man was arrested for the warrant, shoplifting and criminal trespass and was taken to Pima County Jail.

Three men were arrested for trespassing after they hopped a wall to get into Arizona Stadium at 3:32 a.m. June 11.

An officer was called after someone reported seeing the men exiting the stadium by climbing over a wall on the southwest corner.

The men, ages 23, 20 and 19, did not have any form of identification and verbally identified themselves to the officer. When asked what they were doing in the stadium, one replied that they were just enjoying the view. All three men acknowledged that because they had to climb a wall to get into the stadium, they probably should not have been there. One added that “”it wasn’t a very high wall”” as if it were a mitigating circumstance, according to police reports.

All three men were arrested for second-degree criminal trespassing. Two of the men said they did not have addresses and were staying with friends. The two men were transported to Pima County Jail, where they were booked. The third man was cited and released.

A student was cited as a minor in possession at 11:40 p.m. May 30 after an officer saw him carrying another man at East Speedway Boulevard and North Cherry Avenue.

The student’s speech was slurred, and he had a strong odor of alcohol on his breath. He said he had consumed six 12-ounce cans of beer at his friend’s house. The student begged the officer to let him go, saying this would be his third MIP citation.

The student was cited and released to his friend.