“ASUA seeks to help new students, plans to Bear Down for Saturday”

ASUA Sens. Stephen Wallace and Gabby Ziccarelli share a lighthearted moment during their weekly meeting Wednesday in the Student Union Memorial Center.

During a week that has seen numerous campus groups advocate for students’ rights and events, ASUA continued the theme in their Senate meeting Wednesday evening.

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona focused on improving student life and accessibility to information, stemming from a presentation by Sen. Stephen Wallace. He introduced an outline for a new booklet that would be distributed to freshmen and new students to the UA. Information would range from Tucson nightlife to instructions for laundry.

Wallace wants to include a contact list of important UA offices and a list and summary of prominent organizations on campus. Wallace also wants to include an ASUA scholarship as part of the guide and information about other scholarships on campus.

“”It is a brochure for incoming students that has information I wish I had known when I was a freshmen,”” Wallace said. “”This is an extensive guide that helps students to excel during the freshman year. The information at orientation had a lot of different handouts, and this will put them together in one guide.””

Sen. Gabby Ziccarelli followed Wallace with a presentation of her own on the Student Nutrition Coalition.

“”The whole idea is that the SNC solely focuses on health of the average student. Basically, we are doing nutritional lobbying for the students’ interest – what they want to do on campus, and maybe what is best for them to eat on campus,”” Ziccarelli said. “”We are a resource for, not only the students, but also for dining services. We are looking to build a relationship with them in order to collaborate with them. We want to make sure they are happy and the students are happy.””

The presentation included proposals for programs to promote students eating breakfast. The prominent idea being a “”Jump Start Breakfast Card.”” After purchasing nine breakfast items, the 10th would be free.

The presentation also included a list of different eateries on campus and the healthier options they offer. The SNC is looking to host free breakfast parties in the residence halls in order to promote their new programming.

Women’s Resource Center interns Becky Butler and Allison Dumka presented a unique request. Through their long-term development campaign, they are looking to fund a long-term paid director.

They are trying to collect 5,000 signatures in order to ask for funding from the Student Affairs Fee. Normally, clubs turn to ASUA for funding. Instead the WRC representatives asked the individual senators to help gather signatures for a petition.

“”We are working really hard in order to get a paid director, and ASUA is a great resource for getting information out,”” Dumka said. “”We have always had a great relationship with them.””

While the majority of the meeting consisted of different presentations, the Senate reports had a very similar theme – the UA’s rivalry football game against Arizona State University.

“”The pride of our school is on the line on Saturday,”” said Sen. Bryan Baker. “”If we win, we prevent ASU from going to a bowl game, and if we lose, the season that we thought was good, wasn’t. We need to go out there and Bear Down.””