Police beat: July 10

Not quite as smooth as Keith Stone

A UA student was cited and released for driving under the influence on July 1, after a University of Arizona Police Department officer noticed a vehicle swaying from side to side while driving down Speedway Boulevard at approximately 2:42 a.m.
After pulling the vehicle over, the officer immediately noticed the smell of alcohol coming from the driver, as well as watery, red, bloodshot eyes. The driver also had a female passenger.

When the officer asked the driver for his license, registration and insurance card, the driver said he left it at his house in Phoenix, though he kept looking for it.

After failing several sobriety tests, including a walk and turn and one leg stand, the driver was placed under arrest and read his Miranda rights. He consented to questioning, and stated he drank three Keystone beers, though he was cited for an extreme DUI.

His passenger, also a UA student, was cited for an MIP and walked home.

Truth or Creep

On June 29 at approximately 11 p.m., officers responded to a report that a program assistant of a summer program was hosting extreme “truth or dare” sessions, including possible nudity with underage students in a basement.

The officers met with the assistant and asked if they could speak in private. An officer then read the subject his Miranda rights, and explained they were investigating alleged “truth or dare” sessions held in the basement.

The assistant claimed there was no nudity or sexual conduct of any kind and that the gatherings were a way for students to get to know one another.

Police then spoke to the woman who reported the accusations. She said she heard a rumor there were people in only boxer shorts, and females were required to strip at gatherings in the basement. She also said she heard a rumor that the door is barred when the parties occur and all students involved in the parties swear an oath to secrecy.

The police then began conducting interviews with several of the alleged party attendees. Upon the interviews, police were told that consenual kissing had occurred and attendees agreed to the secrecy.

The assistant was asked to leave the program and was referred to the Dean of Student’s Office.