Greek Life excitement grows

Jordin O’Connor
Jordin O’Connor / Arizona Daily Wildcat With bid day happening on campus, sororities welcomed newcomers to their houses.

It has been a busy few days for members of Greek Life as sorority chapters welcome their newest pledges and fraternity members prepare for their upcoming rush week.

Over the past week, sorority members were busy with their rush process and with preparation for their main event: Bid Day. A bouncy castle, DJs, balloons and signs were only the beginning of what awaited new members once they received their bids on Sunday.

“We came a week earlier and prepared our conversations, our bouncing and our screaming,” said Amy Noble, an accounting senior and a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma. “I couldn’t be more proud of these girls, we are so excited.”

Some sorority members waited outside of their houses holding signs welcoming the new members, while others danced along to music and talked about the new semester.

“We are so excited for our new members and we cannot wait for this year,” said Alex Sheedy, a psychology senior and chapter president of Pi Beta Phi, as she waited for the newest members to arrive.

Although rush week for sororities is finished, fraternity members are still preparing for their rush week, which starts Aug. 27.

Some fraternity members are trying to come up with events during that week to spark interest in prospective new members, according to Jared Litroff, a marketing junior and rush chairman for Alpha Epsilon Pi.

“We will try and have new members know what Alpha Epsilon Pi is about, what they stand for, the integrity that we have and that we want gentleman to have good qualities and values and do well
academically,” Litroff said.

One of the reasons to join Greek Life is to form long lasting friendships, according to the UA Greek Life website.

“We have an amazing sisterhood, and any sorority, I think, anyone would be so honored to join because all of the sororities here are so amazing,” said Hannah Carl, an undeclared junior and a member of Delta Delta Delta.

Other members also commented on their growth through their involvement with Greek Life.
“Alpha Epsilon Pi has helped me grow academically, individually and socially,” Litroff said. “I think it’s a great experience for people and I truly wish everyone could experience it and see how great the greek system is.”