ABOR to consider funding proposals

Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates / Daily Wildcat Anne Mariucci speaks during the discussion of student finances at the Arizona Board of Regents meeting at University of Arizona in the Ballroom of the Student Union Memorial Center on Thursday December 1 2011.

The Arizona Board of Regents will meet on Thursday and Friday to discuss issues concerning the Arizona university system.

The meeting will take place at the High Country Conference Center at Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff, where the board will hear presentations and proposals from its various committees. One of the proposals under consideration is a performance-based funding model, which would take into account graduation rates, successful credit hours and research. The adoption of the model was mandated by the Arizona Legislature.

Detailed information on the proposal being presented to the board was not available as of press time.

Former UA Provost Meredith Hay left the university before the start of the 2011-2012 academic year and assumed the position as special adviser to the ABOR chair for strategic initiatives. Her position aids in the design of the model.

The board will also discuss and vote on proposals involving the budget and university spending, including the capital development plans of each of the three schools. The UA is expected to ask for $220.9 million, ASU will ask for $64 million and NAU will ask for $100.4 million.

Also scheduled for Thursday are reports from the Business and Finance Committee, the Enterprise Executive Committee, the Financial Aid Task Force, the Academic Affairs Committee and the Intercollegiate Athletics Task Force.

The board will reconvene on Friday by hearing from the Arizona Faculties Council and and is also expected to use a consent agenda. The consent agenda will vote to extend men’s head basketball coach Sean Miller’s contract and make athletic director Greg Byrne the vice president of athletics.

The main board meeting is scheduled to begin at 8 a.m. Thursday and is expected to end at 11:30 a.m. on Friday.