Column: Steak ‘N Shake is an exciting lower calorie replacement for Burger King

Selena Quintanilla

The sign for the new Steak ‘n Shake replacing Burger King in the Student Union. It’ll take over Burger King’s 10-year spot Friday, Jun. 30 with a selection of steakburgers, hot dogs, fries and milkshakes.

Some very exciting news took the UA by storm this summer: Tucson’s very first Steak ‘n Shake will open in the fall! This beloved American restaurant will be taking the place of Burger King in the Student Union Memorial Center.

Steak ‘n Shake will be a great addition to the union’s food court, and students are thrilled. This will be the first of the chain’s locations in Tucson, meaning the end of long trips to Tempe for its juicy burgers and thick milkshakes.

At first glance, this opening might not seem like a big deal. One fast food place is just replacing another fast food place, right? However, a look at their menus indicates a caloric line that separates the two.

When comparing Steak ‘n Shake with Burger King, comparable menu items of the former seem to contain fewer calories than those of the latter. Since the classic beef burger is America’s most popular sandwich, perhaps Steak ‘n Shake will make eating burgers and fries healthier.

RELATED: Steak ‘n Shake takes over Burger King’s 10-year spot in Student Union, will open July 30

Consider Burger King’s famous Double Whopper with fries. The burger, without mayonnaise, contains 690 calories, and a medium order of fries contains 380 calories — making a meal that comes in at 1,070 calories

Compare this to Steak ‘n Shake’s Original Double Cheese ‘n Fries. The total for this burger and fries combination? Only 790 calories.

Of course, if you’re trying to eat healthy at either of these restaurants, a salad is always an option. Burger King’s Chicken Garden Salad adds up to 530 calories. What about Steak ‘n Shake’s Grilled Chicken Salad, though? Just 430 calories.

RELATED: Hidden gems: Six awesome restaurants you might not know exist

The opening of a Steak ‘n Shake is more than just a calorie count, however. Many students are delighted at its upcoming arrival.

UA sophomore Shayla Remley said the new restaurant in the union should be familiar to a large swath of students.

“Steak ‘n Shake is [popular in] California and a lot of students here are from Cali, which in a way gives them a taste from home.”

I have to agree, and having Tucson’s first Steak ‘n Shake on the UA campus makes the opening of the new eatery all that more exciting.

Follow Scarlett Lorin on Twitter.