Police Beat: February 25

The dusty bong

A glass bong was found on the roof of the Parking and Transportation Services building at 10:10 p.m. on Thursday,. It was placed into property and evidence to be destroyed.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer was performing a check of the Sixth Street Parking Garage when he saw a man run from the rooftop of the garage on to the roof of the Parking and Transportation Services building. However, the officer lost sight of the man, and did not see anyone else try to run from the scene.

The officer then went to investigate the area near where the man had been, and found a bong made of red and blue glass. Though the bong had burnt residue in it. It appeared to have been there for a while, because it was covered in dust.

It is unknown whether the man the officer witnessed running from the roof is connected to the dusty bong.

Bucket list

Four UA students were cited for trespassing on Feb. 15 at 3:15 a.m. at Hillenbrand Aquatic Center.

A UAPD officer was called to the scene after the center’s alarm went off. When he approached the center in his car, the officer noticed four stacks of clothing near a pillar. As the officer got out of his car, he saw a naked man jump over a wall and begin running. When the officer yelled at him to stop, he hid behind the pillar near the clothes.

Three more men, only wearing underwear, ran out of the center and toward McKale Center as the officer approached the naked man behind the pillar.

The officer asked the naked man to come out from behind the pillar, which he did, but asked if he could put his pants on first. The officer allowed him to before beginning to question him. Two of the three men who had run off returned to the scene and were also allowed to put their clothes back on.

The three men explained that they were all seniors at the UA and knew they weren’t allowed to be in the aquatic center, but that this activity had been a part of their “senior bucket list” of things to do before graduation.

The three were cited for second degree trespassing, but the fourth student never returned to the scene. His clothes and personal items were placed into property and held there until he contacted
UAPD the next morning.

The student claimed that he fell and chipped one of his teeth while he was running away, and asked for his clothes and the rest of his property back. He was cited for criminal trespassing but told he would have to wait until Monday to receive his items.

Lost and found

A UA technician reported a stolen golf cart on Feb. 18.

The technician said that he believed the golf cart had been missing since Feb. 17, but he did not report it right away because many technicians use the cart and he wanted to make sure that one of them had not taken it.

The technician speculated that the golf cart may have been left outside of the cage it was supposed to be locked in.

While investigating, a UAPD officer found a golf cart in its compound. The technician identified it as belonging to his department, but noted that the chain and lock system was not secured properly. He drove the golf cart back to its cage near the Main Gate Parking Garage.

Currently, there is no reason to believe that the golf cart was stolen.