POLICE BEAT 4/18/2018: Smokey and the Damaged

A+University+of+Arizona+Police+Department+officer+makes+a+call+while+standing+by+near+the+Koffler+building+on+the+UA+campus.+
Alex McIntyre
A University of Arizona Police Department officer makes a call while standing by the Koffler building on the UA campus.

A Fiery Tamper

An ongoing issue with a Babcock Hall resident and her smoke detector required a University of Arizona Police Department officer’s intervention on April 3. 

The officer first arrived on scene at approximately 10 a.m., where a UA Fire Safety technician explained that they received an alarm that indicated someone disconnected the smoke detector.

According to the technician, this same resident removed the smoke detector from her room twice in the past.

The officer, the technician and a community director knocked on the door, but received no answer. The community director began to unlock the door when the resident opened the door.

The officer asked to speak with the resident, but she refused, stating that she hated campus cops. The resident then began to cry and ran into her bathroom, slamming the door. The officer, technician and community director left.

At 11:30 a.m., Fire Safety reported an issue with the same room. 

Upon arrival, the officer asked the resident to step out of her room so she could speak with her, but the resident did not want to talk. 

While the technician fixed the detector, the resident complained to herself and to an unknown person on the phone that the cops were racist and harassing her.

The technician told the resident he had locked the detector, so if she tampers with it again they will be able to tell.

The officer referred the resident to the dean of students. 

RELATED: POLICE BEAT: Spring Fling edition

Car Troubles

A driver missed hitting a bicyclist, only to have the cyclist follow and threaten her repeatedly on April 10.

According to the driver in a report to a UAPD officer, she was driving south on Cherry Avenue at around 7:45 a.m. when she passed a bicyclist on her right. 

She arrived at a stop sign before the bicyclist. The driver let her foot off the brake, rolling forward as the cyclist continued riding forward without reaching a complete stop. 

The bicyclist began to yell at her, saying she put his life in danger. He told the driver he was going to take a video of her.

He got off his bike and placed it in front of her car so the bike’s wheels were under the car’s wheels. He then pulled out his phone and filmed her.

The driver told the officer that at that point she felt trapped. She reversed and went around him. 

The driver arrived at her destination and did not return to her vehicle for about nine hours.

When she got back to her car, the driver found a typed note left on the vehicle. The note had her vehicle information, plate number and parking spot identification and contained multiple threats.

The driver told the officer she was afraid to see him again as he knows her information and parking spot.

The driver stated she would be willing to prosecute.

Follow Vanessa Ontiveros on Twitter