UA President Robbins addresses rising Pima County COVID-19 cases

JT Thorpe

A sign outside of the University of Arizona’s Student Union Memorial Center food court says masks are “strongly recommended” inside the building. An illustration of Wilbur the Wildcat wearing a mask is featured under the text. After UA President Dr. Robert C. Robbins lifted the school’s mask mandate during the spring 2022 semester, these recommendation signs were placed all around campus.

University of Arizona President Dr. Robert C Robbins sent a mass email to the school’s community urging everyone to be cautious as COVID-19 cases continue to rise in Tucson.

According to Robbins’ statement, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lists Pima County’s community level in regards to risk of COVID-19 as medium. Within the week leading up to June 16, there was an 11.41% increase in cases in Pima County, according to the CDC. 

Robbins did not announce any changes to the current on-campus mandate regarding masks, which ended in March. Instead, he again said masks are recommended in public indoor areas.

Robbins continued to say vaccinating the public is the most effective way to protect the community from illness, highlighting the fact that the UA’s own Campus Health still offers all doses of both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. 

The CDC states that adults over 50 are eligible for a second booster and immunocompromised individuals can get three boosters. 

More information about vaccine locations in Pima County is available on the Pima County COVID-19 vaccine information and registration webpage.

Follow Annabel Lecky on Twitter