Track heads to NCAAs

Arizona track and field will send a roster of 14 to College Station, Texas, to compete in the NCAA Indoor National Championships beginning today.

The women’s roster, consisting of six members, will be headlined by high jump standout Brigetta Barrett. Barrett leads the nation and has yet to be defeated in a meet this season. To go along with her national leading mark, Barrett holds a top-10 international mark this season and has achieved U.S. Olympic ‘B’ Standard. Despite the accolades, Barrett looks to improve on last years third place finish in this meet.

“”On the girls side, we have an opportunity to be All-American as a team,””

Barrett said.

Arizona’s women’s roster will also be filled in by Christina Rodgers, 800-meters, LaTisha Holden, 60-meter hurdles and Julie Labonte, Alyssa Hasslen and Baillie Gibson, shot put.

The women have cracked the top 10 and will head into the championships ranked No. 8 in the nation.

“”The team on both sides should do well,”” Barrett said. “”It’s great to see everyone buckling down and doing what they can do and better””.

A record-breaking distance medley team headlines the men’s roster. The team, consisting of Lawi Lalang, James Eichberger, Abdi Hassan and Sean Delfani, earned the second-fastest time in the nation during the Mount Pacific Sports Federation Championships. Lalang will also compete in the 3,000 meter race.

Other members of the men’s roster include Stephen Sambu, 5,000 meters, Nick Ross and Edgar Rivera-Morales, high jump. The team will try to best Arizona’s highest indoor championships finish, which was 10th place in 2006. The men’s team heads into the meet ranked No. 14 in the nation.