With finals around the corner, buckle down at these coffee shops

Tyler Besh
    Tyler Besh/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Tucson resident Cafe Passe barista, Kelsey Reinhard, makes a cappuccino for a morning customer. “Sometimes people will be here at the beginning of my shift and when I clock out they’re still here.”

Scoring an open table near an outlet in the UA Main Library can be harder than the actual exam you’re supposed to be studying for. Throw sleep-deprived and stressed-out students into the mix and you’ve got yourself a quintessential finals week at the UA.

Finding a study spot where you won’t be bothered is a daunting task when more than 38,000 other students are competing for the same luxury. The right coffee shop will provide all the necessary elements for cramming during finals week. From latté art to quiet hideouts, these coffee shops will help you through hell and back.

1. Café Passé
    Café Passé is tucked away discreetly on Fourth Avenue with only a small sign and window to mark its presence. Walk inside and find a narrow shop that leads out to a large patio filled with various shaded platforms, a small pond and exceptional coffee.

“We’re really happy to welcome students in to study here because it really is a peaceful environment for that, and that’s what cafes are kind of all about,” said Cafe Passé manager Jasper Ludwig.

“We have plenty of grad students who will hang out here all day. They’ll start with coffee and a bagel and eggs, and around lunchtime they’ll get a sandwich, then once they’re finished for the day they’ll get a cocktail.”

While you’re there, be sure to try the café’s Black Forest Mocha to help ease you into your studies.

Frequented by other students looking to hide away, Café Passé provides an atmosphere that is as soothing as it is studious.

2. Coffee X Change
    One of the only 24-hour coffee shops in Tucson, Coffee X Change was founded by a UA graduate and is a mecca for pulling all-nighters. While the coffee falls short of halfway decent, you’ll come for the promise of all-night access to caffeine and stay for the number of outlets and open tables.

3. Starbucks on University Boulevard
    An easy getaway for those living both on and off campus, Starbucks on University is an ideal place to study during the day. Complete with a cozy fireplace and plenty of seating inside and out, this shop is a better alternative to the library.

“I like it here because it’s much more relaxing,” said Ashley Bolton, a sophomore studying molecular and cellular biology. “The library can be kind of dirty — it definitely needs renovations. I like the atmosphere [of Starbucks]; it’s much more calming.”

4. Caffe Luce
    Swing by early enough in the morning and the smell of fresh roasted coffee will still linger in the air. Just off Park Avenue and University Boulevard, Caffe Luce attracts students with its exceptional coffee and convenient location.

This coffee shop gem has an open environment, with both indoor and outdoor seating. Order an Aztec Mocha and be amazed at the latté art that tops your drink.