Arizona women’s basketball routs Chicago State, moves to 3-0

Chloe Hislop

University of Arizona Women’s basketball player Aari McDonald about to shoot the ball during the game against Eastern New Mexico on October 27. UA won the game 85-38.

Arizona women’s basketball blew out Chicago State 82-50, improving their record to 3-0 in the early season. The Wildcats were in control from the start of the game, outscoring the Cougars 70-28 throughout the first three quarters before putting in their reserves.

With great ball movement and execution in transition, Arizona shot an outstanding 50.8% from the field compared to Chicago State’s 26%.  Not only were the starters getting it done, but Arizona’s bench outscored Chicago State’s bench 41-1.  

In the first quarter, the Wildcats struggled from long distance, shooting 0-5 with three-point range. Their defensive presence took over and set the tone for the rest of the game, accumulating 7 steals and 3 blocks by the end of the quarter. Not only was Chicago State turning the ball over, but they only shot 3-for-14 from the field.

Arizona started to pick their offensive play up in the second quarter, shooting 4-for-6 from long distance and a perfect 4-for-4 out the free throw line. They carried this success into the third quarter where they shot 61.5% from the field. The high level of defensive energy was present throughout the entire game. By the end of the third quarter, the Wildcats had already stolen the ball 19 times in the game, giving the Cougars little hope to compete.

RELATED: Arizona women’s basketball squeezes past Santa Clara at home

Aari McDonald had a game-high 24 points (9-for-11 field goals) while also contributing 2 steals and an assist. Dominique McBryde and Helena Pueyo were active on defensive end, totaling 13 steals (Pueyo also had 11 points). Lastly, Cate Reese showed her double-double potential, recording 8 points and 8 rebounds while adding 2 blocks and a steal.

The Wildcats have taken care of business so far, but they will face their toughest competition yet and possibly their most difficult non-conference opponent this season when they take on No. 22 Texas on Sunday at the Frank Erwin Center.

Follow Dan Philipsborn on Twitter