Police Beat: March 28

Facebook feud

A former UA custodial employee’s threatening Facebook post regarding his sister was reported to police at 8 p.m. on March 24.

The message was posted on a UA-related Facebook page, and warned another employee not to “say anything to my sister again … you fuck with my family and you will deal with me.” The post contained several other obscenities and slurs.

The man’s sister, who is a temporary UA employee, then liked the post.

The employee who reported the post told a University of Arizona Police Department officer that the woman had spoken with him the night before about a pair of keys she’d lost, but that he’d told her not to worry about them. He added that the conversation had been the only contact the two had during the roughly six months of the woman’s employment at the Student Union Memorial Center, and that she’s “quiet” and hadn’t been involved in any trouble in the past.

The man said he didn’t take the threat seriously, but did want UAPD officers to warn the former employee about his harassment. The man told police he would contact Allstaff Services and have both the brother and sister fired, for the post and subsequent “like.” Police were unable to contact the former employee, but did leave a voicemail for him.

The reporting man spoke with police again the following day, after the former employee left him a “ranting” voicemail and sent him two text messages, due to police trying to contact him.

Police documented the messages from the former employee and left him another voicemail telling him not to contact the man again.

The man said he did not want to pursue charges unless the harassment continued.

Piracy doesn’t pay

A non-UA affiliated man was arrested for possession of counterfeit DVDs and compact disks after driving with a suspended license on Campbell Avenue and Adams Street at 9 a.m. on March 25.

A UAPD officer was monitoring traffic when he observed a silver pickup truck going 13 mph over the speed limit and the driver not wearing a seatbelt.

The officer stopped the car. The man identified himself with a Mexican driver’s license. Due to the language barrier, the officer called another officer to assist.

A records check of the driver showed that his privilege to drive in Arizona had been suspended.

While speaking with the man, the officer noticed three cardboard boxes in the rear cab of his pickup. Upon inspection, the boxes were found to contain 100 DVDs and one Blu-ray Disc, all in plastic wrap, several of which were of titles that had not yet come out on DVD.

The man was then booked into Pima County Jail on charges of counterfeit mark violation and driving with a suspended license.