Icecats get offensive

Despite scoring 17 goals in a weekend sweep of Weber State in their home-opening series, the No. 23 Icecats still see room for improvement.

Arizona opened the series with a 10-2 win on Friday night and then won 7-2 the next night. The Icecats combined for 98 shots in the two games, something the team will focus on in the coming week according to head coach Leo Golembiewski.

“”We have to shoot better,”” Golembiewski said on Saturday night. “”We didn’t transition well in the first two periods tonight, and our shooting was abysmal all weekend long. We attempted 30 shots going into the second period tonight and only 15 or something were on net.””

Senior forward Jordan Schupan had a hat trick Friday night and added two more on Saturday. Sophomore forward Jared Lowell had the assists for both of his goals and also scored three series.

Co-captain forward Brian Slugocki, a sophomore, added three goals in the series.

Golembiewski was happy to see the third line produce. Freshman Eric Watters scored a goal in each game.

The Icecats will host Colorado State next weekend for a two-game series and Golembiewski said it will be essential to be precise with the puck. The team will have four days of practice to get ready.

“”This will be our first full week of practice all year, so we absolutely are going to be working on shooting, shooting and more shooting,”” he said. “”We’re hoping that we will be able to do something with the added practice because Colorado State is going to bring a lot to the table.””

Weber State only fired off 42 shots in the series, and Golembiewski said he felt goaltenders David Herman and Steven Sisler didn’t get true tests, but that the coming weeks will bring tougher tests against stronger opponents.

Sisler, a freshman, had 20 saves to earn his second win of the season in game two. It was his first home game with the team.

“”I wasn’t really happy with how I played, but I was happy with the way my team did,”” Sisler said. “”It was awesome with all the fans and stuff. I’m not used to that at all.””

Herman had 18 saves in game one to improve to 3-0.