Livengood wants Withey to stay another year

UA athletic director Jim Livengood visited with Jeff Withey and his parents Monday night, and the UA freshman was denied a release from his Letter of Intent.

Withey, who requested to transfer from Arizona shortly after Lute Olson’s retirement, was the third member of the Wildcats’ original Class of 2008 to bail before playing a single game in Tucson.

“”The only reason that I can give right now, obviously because of a lot of things that do with student-athlete privacy, is that I really believe he needs to stay one year here,”” Livengood said in a phone interview Wednesday evening. “”The letter of intent was intended for him to stay one year.””

The Academic Progress Rate was not the sole factor to Livengood’s decision, he said.

“”There’s a lot of skepticism out there with regards to the APR and so on, and whether or not those become factors, the fact to me right now most importantly is that he stays here a year,”” Livengood said. “”If he stays here a year, doesn’t like the school, doesn’t like classes, doesn’t like anything about it, then I will gladly release him.””

Withey did not appear in Saturday’s Red/Blue intrasquad scrimmage, but has been in touch with UA interim head coach Russ Pennell for non-basketball purposes, Pennell said.

When asked whether Withey’s status with the team has any barring on Livengood’s decision, Livengood said, “”Basketball or not: That’s his choice.””