This day in wildcat History

• On July 1, 1971, the Arizona Summer Wildcat reported as Dr. John P. Schaefer took over as the 17th president of the UA. He replaced Dr. Richard Harvill, who had served as president for 20 years, the longest term for a UA president to date. Harvill told the Wildcat he intended to “”take it easy”” for a while.
  • On July 3, 1980, the Wildcat’s “”TV Viewer”” columnist complained about the raciness of television ads. “”Under the guise of cutting a few calories,”” TV Viewer complained, “”Pepsi Light has a none-too-subtle campaign with lithesome [sic], good-looking youths stripping off some outer garments to reveal their lovely bodies. They even tell us to ‘take it off.’ “”
  • On June 30, 1988, the Wildcat reviewed Ian Hamilton’s controversial biography “”In Search of J.D. Salinger,”” and complained that the book left too many unanswered questions about the mysterious author of “”The Catcher in the Rye.”” The reviewer called Hamilton’s book “”a well-researched compilation of facts from previous researchers.””
  • On June 28, 1977, the Wildcat reported on increasing resistance to using laboratory animals for medical experiments. “”If a proposal seems cruel and inhumane to me, I will refuse the request,”” Douglas McKelvie, director of animal resources at the University Medicine College, told the Wildcat.
  • -compiled by Justyn Dillingham