Arizona soccer moves to 2-0 on the season with a win over Texas Tech

Nathanial Stenchever

The University of Arizona women’s soccer team has a pregame huddle before their game against the University of Washington at Mulcahy Soccer Stadium on Oct. 15. The Wildcats went on to lose the game 1-4.

This Sunday, the Arizona soccer team played Texas Tech University, winning 1-0. The women dug deep after being pressured by Texas Tech in the beginning minutes. Hope Hisey continued to hold her shutout record, saving many attempts on goal. Sunday was Hisey’s 15th career shutout.

Possession went back and forth until the 69th minute when Maddy Koleno hustled to save a ball from going out of bounds. With the extra hustle, Koleno lifted the ball to the back post where Megan Chelf headed the ball straight to the back of the net. Not only did Chelf head the ball, but she also jumped over a defender.

Texas Tech came back, aggressively taking multiple shots on Arizona’s goal. Luckily Hisey was on fire saving a total of 6 shots on goal throughout the game. The defense also played a significant role in the win for Arizona. The team successfully defended seven corners taken by Texas Tech. Arizona earned a spot next to Ohio State University, being the only two teams to beat Power Five conference teams in its first games of the season.

Last week, the PAC-12 conference announced the first weekly award winners. After the performance this week, Arizona took home two out of the three awards. Defensive Player of the Week went to senior Madison Goerlinger and the winner of Goalkeeper of the Week went to Hisey. This upcoming week Arizona is on the road again heading to Lincoln, Nebraska on Thursday.

Follow Delaney Penn on Twitter