Flu shot clinic visits decline

Tim Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Jamie Wilson, a budget office employee, receives a flu shot from Eliyami Oktaviana, a nursing senior, on the UA Mall, Oct. 27, 2010.  Campus Health Services was providing the shots for $15.
Tim Glass
Tim Glass / Arizona Daily Wildcat Jamie Wilson, a budget office employee, receives a flu shot from Eliyami Oktaviana, a nursing senior, on the UA Mall, Oct. 27, 2010. Campus Health Services was providing the shots for $15.

Campus Health Service is starting its vaccination efforts as flu season approaches.

Campus Health offered its first flu shot clinic of the year on the UA Mall on Wednesday. Staff gave influenza vaccination shots and nasal spray vaccinations to passing students. The shots cost $15 and can be charged to a Bursar’s account.

The event did not attract the long lines seen last year.

“”We had a lot more to do (last year), which concerns us,”” said pre-nursing sophomore Danielle Hauptman, a volunteer for Campus Health Service.

Hauptman said the difference could be caused by a decrease in media attention on the H1N1 virus.

“”Also, last year was the big H1N1 scare,”” Hauptman said. “”But there’s still the same need for (the vaccine).””

Shari Overland, nursing supervisor for Campus Health Service, said there was less interest from students than last year. Campus Health administered slightly more than 100 shots on Wednesday compared to 300 during past clinics.

She said the event was not widely advertised and came early in flu season.

“”People aren’t afraid of the flu yet because it hasn’t hit Pima County,”” Overland said. “”That would be my guess.””

Business junior Quinton Crawford decided to get the shot after walking by the tent. Crawford said he wanted to protect himself against the illness.

“”I actually haven’t gotten it in a long time,”” he said. “”It’s my first flu season at a real school, so I don’t want to get sick.””

Campus Health has offered the clinic for the past few years to make the process easy for students.

“”It seems like people are much more spontaneous about getting flu shots,”” Overland said. “”It removed the barrier of having to come to Campus Health.””

Many students decided to get the shot while passing the tent between classes.

“”We just tried to figure out the place where we grab the most attention,”” Overland said. “”(The Mall) turned out to be the most bang for the buck.””

Crawford said the clinic was convenient.

“”I probably would have forgotten about it,”” Crawford said. “”I actually wanted to get it before but wasn’t sure where to go.””