Greeks Get down to Bid-ness

Valentina Martinelli
Valentina Martinelli/Arizona Daily Wildcat Girls run to their houses on Greek Row during Bid Day on Sunday August 21, 2011.

Loud music, bright outfits and enthused members of Greek Life were commonplace on Bid Day, the final step of the Panhellenic rush process.

Bid Day marked the end of the official recruiting period for the UA’s 11 chapters of sororities in the Panhellenic Council with new members receiving invitations to join. Recruiting for these sororities began on Aug. 15.

The new members were required to attend informational meetings and visit all 11 chapters, where the hopefuls met with members of each sorority at the beginning of the week. Potential new members attended their “preference night,” where their top two sororities formally interviewed them on Aug. 20.

For some returning sorority members, the days before rush, called “work week,” was hectic as they prepared their chapter to recruit potential new members.

Emily Gerston, a creative writing junior and the new member educator for the Alpha Epsilon Phi sorority, said she made signs, decorated the chapter house, ordered T-shirts, hats and backpacks in addition to coordinating “bid day buddies” during her sorority’s work week.

For other returning members, work week was a crucial time to bond with the women in their chapter.

“Work week was great, we had it pretty easy because everyone worked together so well,” said Cori LaPorte, a pre-education junior and member of the Delta Gamma sorority. “On Bid Day we found our new family. I love them (the new members) and I am so excited.”

Bid Day was also a way for new members to begin familiarizing themselves with the women in their chapter.

Haley Harrigan, a political science senior and member of the Alpha Phi sorority, said she felt the new members could contribute positive new things to the Alpha Phi house.

“Our new girls are great,” she said. “They are bubbly and their personalities could light up a room.”

Ashley Singer, a bilingual elementary education major, said that as a senior she was excited to see a new pledge class come in as her pledge class was preparing to leave.

“It’s bittersweet knowing this is my last Bid Day,” she said. “Work week pays off in the end, and it’s all worth it.”

The women who participate in Panhellenic rush pay a $100 registration fee before recruitment and it includes evening programming activities, security, supplies, one lunch and a T-shirt. Once new members officially join Greek Life, they must pay chapter dues, which vary from chapter to chapter, and fund things such as meals, chapter house maintenance, staff salaries, social events and educational programming.

The University of Arizona Police Department also attended the event to ensure pedestrian safety and help with traffic control, according to Cpl. Filbert Barrera, a member of the UAPD motorcycle squad.

“The event went very smoothly,” he said. “Sororities put up a traffic plan approved by Parking and Transportation.”

In addition to sorority members, UA community members and other members of Greek Life came to help support and secure the event.

Blaine Light, an engineering management senior and Sigma Alpha Mu fraternity member, said that he came to Bid Day to support the incoming freshmen and was excited to welcome them into the Greek community.

“Greek Life will help them with leadership, team coordination and teaches you how to interact with others on all different level,” he said.