President and first lady arrive in Tucson

First Lady Michelle Obama is briefly made visibile to local and national media as the presidential motorcade makes its way to Univesity Medical Center at the University of Arizona on Wednesday Jan. 12, 2011. The Obama’s made a stop at UMC before heading to McKale Memorial Center for a public event titled “”Together We Thrive”” to honor the victims of last Saturday’s mass shooting in northwest Tucson.

What do you think it means for Tucson that President Obama is coming to the UA?

“”It shows that he cares about Tucson and the community, in addition to the horrific tragedy, that the president would take time out to come out and do this. To me that’s what being a president is about—the people.””

-Kim Robinson, student at Pima Community College.

“”It means that Tucson is not some hole-in-the-wall place on the U.S. map. He (Obama) pays attention and cares. It means a lot to the family of those who were affected, and especially to UA students who are most excited. The shooting hasn’t changed my impression of Tucson. I think the media is kind of mean. Just because on person has been ridiculously awful doesn’t mean that Tucson is. I mean, I’ve lived here all my life, I love it here.””

– Bella Furr, a natural resources junior

“”President Obama coming brings us all together. I mean, look around there’s a bunch of people here.””

-Lucas Gomez, Pima Community College freshman

“”We’re not here only to see Obama, he’s helping us to mourn in the process of the aftermath of what’s happened. He’s helping us as a community and on it as an issue, about what happened at the shooting. We need to see what we need to do next.””

-William Nye, Graduate student studying Geographic Information Sciences

“”It is just so positive, I’m really happy Obama is coming.””

-Ellen Duperret, mother of a student at UA

“”The shooting and how it happened in Tucson is scary… but it says a lot about the president that he is coming here. He cares about people and what happened.””

-Carly Hamman, freshman, pre-education

“”You think the president would overlook this. I appreciate that he acknowledges everything going on and comes to the university. It really says something.””

-Andrew Wojtanowski, freshman, Pre-Phisiology

“”It doesn’t matter what your political standing is, you have to admit it is really nice that he’s making the visit to our town.””

-Carly Gieszl, freshman, Pre-Family Studies and Human Development