Final: Arizona defeats Mount St. Mary’s 78-55 behind stingy defense

The Arizona Wildcats cheer during the first half of Arizonas 78-55 win against Mount St. Marys at McKale on Friday. 
Keenan Turner/ The Daily Wildcat

The Arizona Wildcats cheer during the first half of Arizona’s 78-55 win against Mount St. Marys at McKale on Friday. 

No. 2 Arizona men’s basketball opened the season by beating Mount St. Mary’s 78-55 as junior forward Brandon Ashley scored 21 points in his return.

Ashley set a new career high in scoring and shot 9-10 with six rebounds in his first game back from a broken foot. Junior guard Gabe York scored five points after opening the season by making a three pointer on his first shot.

Sophomore forward Rondae Hollis-Jefferson did not start, but contributed 15 points and four rebounds. After not starting in Arizona’s exhibition, freshman forward Stanley Johnson was in the first five tonight. He scored eight points and had sic rebounds.

The Wildcats (1-0) shot 57 percent from the field, 25 percent from three and 48 from the free throw line. Mount St. Mary’s shot 38 percent from the field, 33 percent from three and 67 from the free throw line

Game nuggets:

12 Wildcats saw action.

This is the first sporting event with all the seats of the newly renovated McKale Center.

The game was tied once and there zero lead changes.

This is the first game where McKale Center was at full capacity after the renovations.

Arizona had eight turnovers, while the Mount had 16

The Wildcats had 27 points off of turnovers, MSM four.

Check back with us later for a full recap and an analysis column from tonight’s action.