Police Beat: Mar. 28

Football player intercepts shoplifting charge

A UA football player was arrested for shoplifting from the UofA Bookstore on March 23 at 1:32 p.m.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to the bookstore after receiving a call from bookstore security.

Upon arriving, the officer met with the security employee on the second floor outside of the conference room.

The employee identified the two suspects detained in the conference room.

One of the suspects stole two packs of pens — which were clearly marked for sale — from the shelf, walked past all points of sale and out through the exit.

Security staff confronted the suspect outside of the store.

While speaking with the employee, the suspect attempted to pass the stolen pens to the other suspect who was with him.

Observing the handoff, the security employee then escorted both men to the second floor conference room.

The suspect who stole the pens said he needed them for a class project.

He intended to pay for them but decided that because he did not have the cash on him that he would steal them instead.

He said that he felt stupid for trying to pass them to his friend  because he didn’t want to get his friend in trouble.

The other suspect confirmed the story.

Both of the students are UA football players and the first suspect was cited for shoplifting and released on scene.

A Dean of Students Office referral was completed for the shoplifting student, and the surveillance footage was placed into UAPD property as evidence.

Boyfriend tears through stop sign following tense talk

A UAPD officer stopped a male UA student chasing after a girl on his bike on March 23.

The officer was on regular patrol at Cherry Avenue and University Boulevard when he saw a male student on a beach cruiser ride up the grass area on the side of the Meinel Optical Sciences building.

The student rode across the sidewalk onto Cherry Avenue and rode southbound toward Arizona Stadium.

It appeared to the officer thought that the man was trying to catch a female student who was already at the intersection of Cherry Avenue and Fourth Street.

At the intersection, the man failed to stop for the stop sign and continued southbound.

The officer caught up and stopped the man to ask why he was riding across the grass.

He told the officer that he and his girlfriend were arguing and that he was trailing her on way home.

The two of them were originally on the grass outside of the Meinel Optical Sciences building talking.

After hearing the man’s statement, the officer caught up with the girlfriend, who more or less confirmed the man’s story.

The officer gave the man a warning for failing to stop at the stop sign.

Repeat offender banned from dorms for not having escort

A regular non-UA affiliated visitor to Hopi Lodge Residence Hall was ejected from the hall on March 23.

Around 6:40 p.m., a UAPD officer responded to the hall after a report of a man in a room without the resident present.

Upon arriving, the officer found the community director speaking with the man inside the room.

The officer recognized the man as the one who had attempted to stay in the hall during spring break.

The community director was telling the man that although he was in the room with another Hopi Lodge resident, he couldn’t be in the room unless the actual resident of the room was with him.

After explaining the rule, the director asked the man to gather his property to be escorted from the building.

While the man was collecting his things, the officer spoke with the director.

He said that he was told by a resident that the man had returned to the hall around 3 p.m. and again around 5:40 p.m.

He checked the room where the man’s girlfriend lives.

When he arrived, the door was open and the man was in the room with another resident.

He asked for the whereabouts of the man’s girlfriend, the sole resident of the room, but she had just left the hall.

Without the girlfriend present, though, the director informed him that he was in direct violation of UA Residence Life policy.

Due to several incidents involving the man being inside the hall without an escort, the director informed him that he would not be allowed to return until given permission by UA Residence Life.

The girlfriend returned to the room and said she thought it was OK for the man to be in her room accompanied by a hall resident.

She said that she already had a meeting with Residence Life staff about the incident during spring break.

The director informed her that he couldn’t be in her room, no matter how brief, without her presence.

The man was escorted from the hall and told not to return until contacted by Residence Life to be invited back as a guest.