Boepple loses re-election bid

Jake Lacey / Arizona Daily Wildcat

The senatorial run-off.
    Jake Lacey
    Jake Lacey / Arizona Daily Wildcat The senatorial run-off.

Steven Gerner won the runoff election for the 10th senate seat last night, beating student government senate incumbent Matthew Boepple by 275 votes and marking the end of election season.

“”I’m so excited to be serving the students, but this was obviously very difficult because I respect Matt as my friend and opponent,”” said Gerner, an Associated Students of the University of Arizona appropriations board director.

Of the 855 ballots cast, Gerner received 565 votes, or 66 percent, with Boepple taking the remaining 290 votes.

The runoff election took place after Gerner and Boepple tied for the final senatorial position in the general elections, each receiving 1,251 votes.

The two candidates awaited the election results in the lobby of the ASUA offices, tired and sunburned after another full day of campaigning.

“”We were out there handing out everything we could and doing everything possible,”” said Boepple, a political science sophomore.

Gerner said he had been out on the UA Mall all day, encouraging students to vote.

“”I was out there from 9 to 5. I called all my friends, took a 20-minute break and then went back out,”” said Gerner, a political science senior.

Both candidates said they were sorry it came down to competing against one another.

“”I’m glad if I had to lose, it was to someone like Steven Gerner,”” Boepple said. “”He’ll be an amazing senator and he’s the best possible alternative for the job.””

Boepple said he’s going to concentrate on the two months he has left as a senator and that he’s already eyeing another position within the Arizona Students’ Association.

“”I’m going to be applying for ASA and hoping to be task force director,”” Boepple said. “”I want to continue the projects I started as a senator.””

Elections commissioner Jordan Miller said that both she and the candidates learned a lot during the campaigns and that she thought they went well, despite “”a few minor glitches.””

“”The voting results are the main thing,”” Miller said. “”I wanted to get students out to vote.””

Those elected into office will now head into their transitioning period until May, Miller said.

By the middle of April, the president and two vice presidents will have put together applications for the people who will work beneath them.

“”Any student who wants to get involved in ASUA can come to the office and pick up an application,”” Miller said.