Conference to address crisis communication

A conference at the BIO5 Institute will offer insight into Tucson’s communication network through lessons learned from the Jan. 8 shooting at a Safeway that killed six people, including federal Judge John Roll, and wounded 13, including Rep. Gabrielle Giffords.

The Crisis Communication in Action: Tucson in the International News conference will feature speakers from the UA, KGUN 9-ABC Affiliate, US Rep. Gabrielle Giffords’ Office, the Arizona Cancer Center, Arizona Public Media and the Arizona Health Sciences Center.

The event is hosted by the International Association of Business Communicators’ Tucson chapter and the Public Relations Society of America’s Southern Arizona chapter.

Students will pay a reduced rate of $20 while International Association of Business Communicators members will pay $30 and non-members will pay $40.

Check-in for the event will begin at 5:30 p.m., and a question-and-answer session is scheduled from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.

Those who wish to register can do so online at www.iabctucson.com.

Discussion members:

• Forrest Carr, news director, KGUN9-ABC Affiliate
  • Johnny Cruz, assistant vice president for communications, UA
  • Sara Hammond, director of communications, Arizona Cancer Center
  • George D. Humphrey, assistant vice president, Arizona Health Sciences Center’s Office of Public Affairs, UA
  • CJ Karamargin, communications director, Tucson District Office, US Rep. Gabrielle Giffords
  • Peter Michaels, news director & executive producer, Arizona Public Media
  • Katie Riley, director of media relations, Office of Public Affairs Arizona Health Sciences Center, UA