Two fraternities no longer on campus

Sigma Pi loses charter

Sigma Pi’s national organization revoked the charter for its Theta Pi chapter at the UA last week, said Carol Thompson, assistant vice president for student affairs for the dean of students office.

“”A fraternity needs a charter to be active on the university,”” Thompson said. “”Without it they can’t exist.””

Last fall, Sigma Pi was under sanctions and on activity suspension for alcohol violations and risk management and assault issues. The fraternity was required by the UA’s Greek Standards Board to create a “”Revised Risk Management Plan and Action Plan, develop a plan to address unregistered events, activities suspension and a membership review,”” according to the Fraternity & Sorority Programs’ Web site.

The national organization could not be reached for comment by press time. The Interfraternity Council, the governing body for 20 fraternities on campus, declined to comment about this issue. The president of the chapter also declined to comment.

Kappa Sigma withdraws appeal

Kappa Sigma has withdrawn its appeal from the dean of students office after losing its recognition last spring. The UA investigated and found the fraternity guilty of hazing violations, the Daily Wildcat reported in March. The fraternity appealed but this month withdrew from the process, Thompson said.

The chapter has instead decided to try to return to campus by applying for recognition in the fall of 2012.

“”By withdrawing their appeal we agreed to adjust their timeline for recognition status,”” Thompson said.

Kappa Sigma can apply to return to campus in the fall of 2012 and regain their recognition status in January 2013. Part of the application is going through an expansion process conducted by Fraternity & Sorority Programs, Thompson said.

In this process, the fraternity must turn in materials to their national headquarters, involve alumni and give presentations to the Interfraternity Council, Fraternity & Sorority Programs and the dean of students office.