BREAKING: Two students allegedly connected to Tuesday’s assault arrested

Dani Cropper
Old Main is the original building from the University of Arizona.

The two students allegedly involved with Tuesday’s assault against a black student have been arrested and charged with class 1 misdemeanor assault, according to an email sent out to University of Arizona students and staff by University of Arizona Police Department Chief of Police Brian Seastone on Friday afternoon.

The assault was reported to have taken place on Tuesday at 11:24 p.m. at the intersection of University Boulevard and Park Avenue, according to a statement released by the Black Student Union.

The same statement alleges that two students yelled racial slurs at the black student before attacking him. 

According to the BSU’s statement, when UAPD arrived, the two students who had allegedly attacked the other student were referred to a diversion program for racial sensitivity. Students are most commonly sent to the UA Diversion Program for instances of underage drinking and recreational marijuana use.

The new charge of a class 1 misdemeanor assault is the most serious form of misdemeanor a person can be charged with and is punishable by up to six months in jail.

“The attack — deemed a ‘minor’ injury by the UAPD — minimizes the emotional impact caused, thereby disenfranchising the lives of the black student body at the University,” the BSU said in their written statement, released prior to the charges being filed and has been circulating on social media.

The Immigrant Student Resource Center also released a statement in support of the victim and the BSU. 

Yesterday evening, UA President Dr. Robert C. Robbins also sent an email out to the student body expressing “anger, disappointment and regret” over the incident.

The BSU has a protest planned for today at 2 p.m. in front of the Adminisration Building in response to the assault.

The Daily Wildcat will continue to report on this incident as new information emerges.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter