At the half: Northern Colorado giving Arizona all it can handle, leads the Wildcats 31-30

Arizona+forward+Lauri+Markkanen+%2810%29+snags+a+rebound+a+head+and+shoulders+above+Northern+Colorado+forward+Kai+Edwards+%2825%29+in+McKale+Center+on+Monday%2C+Nov.+21.+
Alex McIntyre
Arizona forward Lauri Markkanen (10) snags a rebound a head and shoulders above Northern Colorado forward Kai Edwards (25) in McKale Center on Monday, Nov. 21.

The Northern Colorado Bears lead Arizona 31-30 at halftime. 

Freshman Lauri Markkanen leads the scoring charge for the Wildcats with nine points and seven rebounds.

Arizona is quickly making it a habit to start games slowly and this game is no different. The Bears came out strong and have held the lead more than Arizona in the first ten minutes of the half. 

The Wildcats once again had a decided advantage in the paint with the Bears tallest listed player coming in at 6’9. However, the Bears outrebounded Arizona 21-17. The points in the paint battle favored the Bears as well, and they outscored Arizona 14-12.

The Bears went 4-10 from deep, and shot 41 percent overall in the half. The Wildcats struggled to shoot the ball throughout the first half, and shot 37 percent.

It was an unbalanced half for the Wildcats. The Bears have a decided disadvantage with their big men, but outplayed all of the Arizona frontcourt. 

Follow Christopher Deak on Twitter.