Police Beat: October 9

Shots ‘til you drop

A University of Arizona Police Department officer witnessed a taxi cab driver assisting a woman exiting his cab which was parked in front of the Coronado residence hall at about 12:21 a.m. on Oct. 6.

The officer approached the 18-year-old UA student who was on the ground, moaning and semi-conscious. The officer called for medical assistance, and the woman was conscious and able to stand up on her own by the time they arrived.

The student was escorted to her room and released into the care of her roommate. The student identified herself with a Washington driver’s license and admitted to drinking four shots of vodka at an off-campus “Pi-Kap” party.

She said she didn’t know who gave her the alcoholic beverages. The officer cited and released her for minor in possession of alcohol in body.

Parking garage camp-out

During a security check at the Main Gate Parking Garage, a UAPD officer came upon a suspicious scene on the third level at 3:04 a.m. on Oct. 6.

He saw a person wrapped in a sleeping bag in the exterior walkway between the garage and the University Services Building. When he approached the person, the officer noticed it was a woman with a small travel bag next to her.

She identified herself with an Arizona driver’s license and said she was traveling from Flagstaff and the person she was waiting for to pick her up had yet to arrive. The driver’s contact information was in the woman’s cell phone, but the phone’s battery had died.

The officer informed the woman that she could only use all areas of the university for its intended purpose and the woman said she understood. She then left the area on foot.

The officer later determined that the woman was a current UA student.

Fake I.D. for clubs, not alcohol

A UAPD officer was parked at the intersection of Sixth Street and Park Avenue when a vehicle ran a red light at 1:20 a.m. on Sept. 30.

During the traffic stop, the driver identified himself with a Pennsylvania driver’s license, but the officer noticed a New York driver’s license in the man’s center console.

A records check didn’t show a match for the New York license. The driver said that he purchased the second license for $70 on an unknown website.

He said he didn’t buy it to help him buy alcohol illegally, even though the license portrayed him as being over the age of 21. He said he used the license to gain entry into a club when he was under the age of 18. The officer placed the driver under arrest for possession of a fictitious license and cited him for running a red light. He was cited and released at the scene, and the fake ID was taken into evidence.