Planned Parenthood smart for turning down Tucker Max’s donation

Planned Parenthood in Dallas rejected a $500,000 donation earlier this month from Tucker Max, the author of “I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell,” because he made the donation on the condition that a center be named after him. Planned Parenthood is an organization devoted to sexual education, health services and family planning. It is right to refuse a donation, no matter the size, from a man who describes himself as a womanizer and became rich and famous from writing a book that completely promotes the degradation of women.

After the state of Texas pulled funding from Planned Parenthood, the organization started looking for outside funding to keep it running. Max, looking to decrease his tax burden, wanted to make a donation large enough for the company to name a center after him, according to the Huffington Post.

He originally wanted to donate $50,000, but found out that the naming rights would cost $250,000 to $500,000, which he was still willing to pay.

Planned Parenthood was excited for the partnership, until it became apparent that Max’s reputation would not be the best fit, especially after controversial comments he made about the organization.

“Planned Parenthood would be cooler if it was a giant flight of stairs, w/ someone pushing girls down, like a water park slide,” Max tweeted in July 2011.

This comment clearly describes what kind of person he is, even if it is a joke. Accepting his donation would only be promoting Max, who has little to no interest in the welfare of women.
    His reason for donating is even more offensive.

“They really did help me and my girlfriend when I was poor,” Max told the Huffington Post. “I really do believe in their mission.”

But all people have to do is read a couple of chapters of one of his books or view his blog to see he does not believe in Planned Parenthood’s mission. He is practically the poster boy for both verbal and physical sexual abuse.

Jaclyn Friedman, who runs a blog on amplifyyourvoice.com, describes a chapter in Max’s book in which he describes intentionally manipulating a 19-year-old woman into anal sex. He also filmed the event without permission. In the end, she ran from the apartment, screaming. And he’s proud of this.

If this situation had been written as anything but a funny story, it would be clearly seen for what it is: The sexual abuse of a young woman.

Though some might say that Planned Parenthood’s decision to refuse a $500,000 donation is a mistake, the truth is the company should be applauded for not letting Max’s misogyny tarnish its reputation for helping women.

— Rebecca Miller is a junior studying photography and journalism. She can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu or on Twitter via @WildcatOpinions .