Homecoming is for more than just alumni and Greek Life

Rebecca Noble

Abby Hill, a junior studying special education and rehabilitation, leads the Pride of Arizona marching band down the UA Mall during the 2015 Homecoming. Homecoming activities can be enjoyed by everyone on the UA campus, even if they aren’t as involved as other students.

The UA Alumni Association will host the school’s 102nd Homecoming this weekend through a series of events celebrated by students, staff and alumni.

The UA football players and cheerleaders have been prepping for the annual Homecoming game all year, multiple clubs across campus have created floats for the parade and students involved in Greek Life are preparing a block party in honor of Homecoming.

Students who are a little less involved at the UA often find themselves questioning what the purpose of Homecoming is when it comes to being a current student. Although it seems arbitrary, there happens to be a long list of activities that every student can participate in throughout the week.

“Homecoming festivities are enjoyed by people from all across the community and all across campus,” said Melinda Burke, president of the UA Alumni Association.

RELATED: Presenting 100 years of Homecoming

There will be a Bear Down Pep Rally, a bonfire, a parade, activities on the UA Mall and, of course, tailgating; the list goes on. Burke said that it is all about effort—as long as students and staff make it a mission to get involved, they can.

“I think of the king and the queen and the football game when it comes to Homecoming,” said Harrison Peoples, a business management junior.

As a transfer student, Peoples had not seen or heard much information on this week’s festivities. Yet, the familiarity of an annual football game and Homecoming royalty is obvious due to its adoption as a nation-wide tradition.

Steven Karaan, a marketing junior, also said he knew about the Homecoming game, but neither of the students were educated on the rest of the events hosted through the UA.

Although the annual football game and announcement of Homecoming royalty are very common, the Alumni Association makes it an effort to host events that can get all of the UA involved.

“The winners are announced at the homecoming bonfire, they ride in the Homecoming parade and are presented in Homecoming activities at the Homecoming football game,” Burke said.

Friday will kick off with the Bear Down Pep Rally followed by the Homecoming Bonfire, where the king and queen will be crowned. Saturday leaves the UA with tents on the Mall, the Wildcat for Life Tailgate Party and the parade.

For students and faculty that are looking for a more intimate way to get involved with Homecoming, they can attend the Barbecue Bash on Friday for $30-35 per person. Burke said the Pride of Arizona marching band will be there as well as Wilbur and Wilma.

“You could definitely not have anything to do with it,” Burke said. “But you’d be missing a really good time if you made that decision.”

RELATED: Freshmen Homecoming opinions vary greatly depending on Greek Life involvement

Greek Life and club organizations are extremely popular at the UA, so it may seem as though they are the only ones who have anything to do with such an important event. As long as students stay up to date on the events that are being held throughout the year, it is easy to get involved and stay entertained.

Follow Brianna Lewis on Twitter.