POBEAT: 9/26/16

The wild West

Two University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to Fourth Street and Park Avenue on Sept. 19 in reference to a fight between a driver and a pedestrian in the middle of the street.

The UA student told UAPD officers that as he was crossing the street, on the sidewalk, a pickup truck crossed the yellow double lines in the road, did not slow down and was aiming right for him, according to police.

The student said he had to jump out of the way to avoid being hit and then proceeded to confront the driver by saying, “What’s your problem?” The driver replied, “If I wanted to hit you I would and you would not be standing there.” 

The student told police he challenged the pickup truck driver to a fight to solve the issue. The student, who said he was in the Marine Corps and had been in two tours in Afghanistan, told the driver he was a “warrior” and would not back down from a fight. 

According to police, the driver then lifted his shirt and revealed a black semi-auto handgun in his waistband to the student. The student yelled, “Shoot me. Shoot Me.” 

The student told police that when his friend showed up, they both walked away from the pickup truck and the driver left the scene. The officers notified UAPD that a man in a truck was armed with a handgun. 

After UAPD officers spoke to witnesses, the student filled out a voluntary statement form and said he did not wish to press charges. 

Pop, lock and drop it

A UAPD officer responded to Coronado Residence Hall in reference to a student who had heard popping noises from down the hall and felt unsafe on Sept. 19.

The female student said she heard a popping noise from down the hall and feared it was an air gun. The student told police she had spoken with her roommate and suite mate, expressing she had been having issues with a resident down the hall which added to her fear of the popping noise.

Shortly after, UAPD made contact with another student who was popping a series of large packing bubbles, resulting in the reported noise. 

When the UAPD officer asked why the student felt so unsafe and had been having issues with her hall mate the student said she would hear the other girl yell profanities from her room, referencing the student.