Restaurant recommendations

Admit it. The only real reason you bought that frumpy gown and got up at 8 a.m. to sit in a convention center was so that your parents would take you out to dinner afterward. Heck, that’s the only reason you put up with college in the first place. Since you’ve been waiting for so long, here are some of our recommendations:

Italian: Ascolese’s, 222 S. Church Ave.

Since Vivace and Caruso’s are probably booked until the second coming of Christ, try this Italian restaurant by the Tucson Convention Center instead. Owner Joe Ascolese moved to this swankier but lower profile location in 2006 from his former restaurant, Jersey Joe’s, across from Arizona Stadium. When you visit, try the Linguine and Clams ($19.99) or the house speciality, Pork Chops with your choice of pasta on the side ($21.95). Plus this weekend, the restaurant will be offering 10 percent discounts to graduation parties if flyer is mentioned.

Japanese: Sushi on Oracle, 6449 N.Oracle Road

This restaurant is nestled up in the Foothills, so you might be able to pop in without a reservation. Hopefully, because this quirky little shop between a Chuy’s and a Chinese restaurant has the freshest sushi in town. Although the prices are a bit higher, everything from the salmon sashimi to the tempura rolls taste crisper and better prepared. (Plus, it’s still not pricier than Benihana.) For dessert, try its signature green tea mochi ice cream balls, which are served in a glass over ice.

Thai: Char’s, 5039 E. Fifth St.

Bangkok Café might seem like the obvious choice, but Char’s gourmet reputation is spreading faster than the mayonnaise at Jimmy John’s. But beware, the spicy option available isn’t for the faint at heart, or the people who like to feel their tongues. Char’s also has a number of vegetarian and even vegan options, such as the Tom Yum soup (without shrimp), Lad Na with broccoli, tofu and assorted curries.

Seafood: Kingfisher, 2564 E. Grant Road

In the mood for grilled marinated pacific seabass with chimichurri, toasted quinoa “”sofrito”” and sautéed spinach? Who isn’t? Tucson’s premier seafood restaurant offers a little something for everyone, even during their late night menu which lasts until midnight. If you go, try the pan fried shrimp cakes ($8.50) for an appetizer. The combination of spicy chili sauce and horseradish that’s drizzled around them makes the crispy shrimp taste so fancy you won’t even believe it’s unhealthy.

Mexican: La Fuente, 1749 N. Oracle Road

Everyone else might be going to Café Poca Cosa, but La Fuente makes up for it with a live mariachi band and tableside salsa preparation. Plus, the atmosphere won’t put you to sleep or make you feel like you’re eating at an art gallery. This faire is a little pricier than a typical Mexican restaurant, but the food reflects that. When you go, try the Mole Poblano, breasts of tender chicken covered in sweet chocolate and chili sauce, with rice, beans and tortillas. Or venture out with the Pargo Frito, a whole fried snapper covered in lemons.