Police Beat

A husband and wife were arrested for domestic violence at 9:59 p.m. July 5 at Babcock Residence Hall, 1717 E. Speedway Blvd.

Police responded to a call referencing a family fight made by a woman who was fighting with her husband.

Upon arrival, police could see a broken cell phone, a broken remote control and a 3-foot white pole on the living room floor.

The fight began after the couple went to the grocery store, where the husband thought the wife spent too long talking to a male store employee. The couple argued on the way home and continued arguing for two hours once home.

One officer questioned the husband, 33, who said his wife bit him on the left wrist during their fight, at which point he had a reflex reaction and hit her across the side of the face to get her to stop biting him. The man had a visible bite mark. The officer asked the man if he hit his wife with any objects during their disagreement, and the man said, “”No, I only hit her with my hand.””

Another officer questioned the wife, 26, who said her husband threw the remote control at her, hitting her in the head. He then threw his cell phone at her, hitting her in the nose, she said. The wife said she then put the cell phone in a sink full of water and he retrieved it and threw it at the wall above her head, shattering the phone.

Her husband grabbed her by the hair and tried to force her to leave, she said. He then left the room and returned with a metal rod, with which he hit her several times on the knee, forearm and forehead, she said.

The woman had a small abrasion on her nose and forearm, which was also slightly swollen. Above her right eye was a lump about the size of a nickel.

Because both the husband and wife participated in damaging property and both had injuries consistent with fighting, both were arrested for domestic violence, criminal damage and assault. The couple was taken to Pima County Jail and booked.

A man was arrested for possession of marijuana after an officer noticed him sleeping on the steps of the Park Student Union, 615 N. Park Ave., at 5:17 a.m. July 5.

The officer approached the man and could see his eyes were shut, and he appeared to be asleep. The officer tried to wake the man by shaking him and shouting at him. He identified himself as a police officer and the man opened his eyes, looked at the officer and attempted to go back to sleep. The officer shouted at him to wake up. The man woke up and sat on the steps, leaving his hat on the ground. Inside the hat was a plastic baggie with a green leafy substance.

The man admitted that it was marijuana inside his hat. He said he had been drinking the night before on Fourth Avenue with some friends. The man had an odor of intoxicants coming from his mouth as he spoke and could not tell exactly where he was.

The man, 23, said he knew what was in the baggie, but that it was not his. He said he did not know whose it was because he had passed out.

The man was cited and released for possession of marijuana.

An officer observed a man stealing a bicycle at 9:40 a.m. July 3 near the Modern Languages building, 1423 E. University Blvd.

The officer saw the man remove bolt cutters from his pants and cut the lock on a bike at the bike racks south of Modern Languages. The man then jumped on the bicycle and rode away northbound.

Another officer spotted the man riding the bicycle north on Highland Avenue. The officer yelled at the man to stop and attempted to block his way with his motorcycle.

The man, traveling at less than 10 mph, was able to maneuver around the motorcycle and continued riding away.

The officer rode alongside the man and struck the bike three times with his foot before the man fell off the bike. The man had scrapes on his face and arms from his crash. The officer bruised his left big toe and nail.

A records check showed the man, 48, had four warrants, and during a search of the man, an officer found what the man called “”a bud”” of marijuana in his pocket.

The man was taken to Pima County Jail, where he was booked for theft, possession of marijuana and the four warrants.