Take your parents back with Motown tonight

This weekend, the upbeat songs of Motown will give you and your parents the opportunity to travel back in time and lose yourselves.

UApresents hosts “”A Motown Celebration: Mary Wilson of The Supremes and The Funk Brothers”” at 8 tonight, a performance that seeks to relive the music that was so prominent in the 1960s, and is resurfacing today through such artists as Amy Winehouse, Gabriella Climi and Duffy.

Finally in the spotlight after years behind Diana Ross, Wilson dazzles like the diva she is. Wilson will sing most of her famous songs from The Supremes, while three of the original members of The Funk Brothers provide instrumentals.

To create the funky, feel-good music that urges you to clap your hands to the beat, seven or eight artists are joining Wilson and The Funk Brothers. These artists will provide distinctive characteristics such as tambourines and a “”call and response”” singing style.

“”Motown takes so much precision and doubling-up of instruments to make their unique sound,”” said Mario Di Vetta, UApresents marketing and publicity associate.

Founded in 1959, Motown Records was the first record label to be owned by a black person while primarily featuring black artists – and they did it with a bang. Motown Records produced numerous legendary artists, including those performing tonight. This show acts as a tribute to Motown’s upcoming 50th anniversary in 2009, giving the crowd a chance to slip back into the ’60s. Tickets are available at the box office and run from $27 to $67 each.