Men’s soccer still unbeaten after 2 wins

Arizona mens club soccer midfielder Sean Dunleavy fends off an NAU defender in Arizonas 4-0 win over the Lumberjacks. The mens club soccer team is now 5-0-3 in the season and will play two games in Las Cruces, N.M., on Saturday.
    Arizona men’s club soccer midfielder Sean Dunleavy fends off an NAU defender in Arizona’s 4-0 win over the Lumberjacks. The men’s club soccer team is now 5-0-3 in the season and will play two games in Las Cruces, N.M., on Saturday.

The Arizona men’s club soccer team beat Northern Arizona and UTEP over the weekend beginning with a 4-0 shutout over NAU Saturday morning at the Rincon Vista Sports Complex.

Later that night against UTEP, it appeared that the Wildcats would be content with just winning one of the games in their doubleheader. UTEP held the ball for the majority of the first half and nearly scored twice, only to be denied by the crossbar.

“”NAU wasn’t very skilled, so we were able to capitalize right away,”” said head coach David Hunter. “”UTEP was a much better squad.””

Both teams had played games earlier in the day, so fatigue was obvious throughout the game. But despite UTEP posing a tougher challenge than NAU earlier in the day, Arizona wouldn’t back down.

The teams switched roles in the second half, and it was the Wildcats which took to the field with more energy than the Miners after halftime. The difference in the game was the Wildcats’ ability to dominate the second half and UTEP’s inability to capitalize on its chances early in the game.

In the second half, the Wildcats wasted no time, getting a goal from midfielder Sean Blea just 45 seconds into the half.

The quick goal seemed to break UTEP’s spirit and frustrated them, as the Miners earned two yellow cards.

With their newfound lead, the Wildcats went on to win the game 3-0. At halftime Arizona knew they had to play better or they had no chance to win the game.

“”In the first half we fell into their style; in the second half we played more of our style,”” said midfielder Pat Quinn.

Next Saturday, Arizona takes on New Mexico Tech and New Mexico State in Las Cruces, N.M. Arizona’s next home game will be Oct. 24 against ASU at Murphy Stadium. It will be their only game of the year at the stadium, as the rest of their home games will be played at Rincon Vista Sports Complex.