OPINION: Five best campus study spots

Ryane Murray

Senior Law and Sociology double major, Allison Kahn studies in the Cracchiolo Law Library at the James E. Rogers College of Law. 

Editor’s note: This column was produced as part of the Daily Wildcat‘s 2018 Campus Guide — the perfect resource for any incoming Wildcat. Whether you’re trying to find important dates, looking for a club to join or are interested in UA history and traditions, we’ll be there to help you get through your first semester. Welcome to the University of Arizona!  

With the cast of clubs, teams and social organizations, there’s plenty of partying to go around and then some. But at the end of the day, we’re here for a reason: a diploma and a promise to better ourselves and our communities. 

That journey begins as soon as each University of Arizona freshman or incoming transfer student steps on campus, and, to make the most out of your university experience, you’ll need a few go-to places to sit and study. Here are five solid study areas.

RELATED: Five things I wish I knew as a freshman

1. University of Arizona Main Library, assorted areas

The main library is the go-to option for study groups and Wildcats looking to get work done. The library is enormous, so even on the busiest of finals days there are probably a few spots tucked away. 

Starting from the first floor, the library map room and movable collections have tables hidden between bookshelves and, of course, plenty of outlets available. 

On the fourth and fifth floors, hidden along the rows of windows on the far side of the building, there are quiet study-spots overlooking the UA Mall and campus activity. 

In the corners of the top few floors, glass-windowed study rooms look out on the southeast corner of campus and provide views of the natural skyline. For the most part, the main library is a safe bet for everyone.

2. Optical Sciences

The second entry on this list is one of my favorites. The Optical Sciences building is located just east of the main library and is a modern architectural gem on campus. 

Relatively quiet compared to other spots on campus, the building’s eighth floor includes a study lounge and balcony with near-180-degree views of the university and Tucson. This spot is perfect for students who appreciate a casual, quiet and well-air-conditioned area to study or prep for class.

3. Gould-Simpson Building

University’s second tallest observation point is also home to a few study areas on the ninth and tenth floors of the Gould-Simpson building. The spaces aren’t as notable or large as others on this list, but they’re usually available and with an unbeatable view, so who’s complaining?

4. ENR2 Slot Canyon Café

ENR2, just north of Sixth Street, is one of the newest and most impressive campus constructions. It’s sandstone landscaping, steel and glass walls are reminiscent of the many slot canyons in the western United States. 

At the base of the atrium, a study lounge is hidden beneath stories of classrooms and balconies. The space is comfortable, airy, naturally lit and modern, not to mention a small café with baristas ready to tend to your caffeine addictions. 

RELATED: Find a second home with UA Cultural Centers

5. James E. Rogers Law Library

My academic bias is pretty clear for this spot. As a law major and member of the Arizona Mock Trial team, I’ve spend more time at James E. Rogers than myself or my teammates would like to admit. 

Either way, the law school includes – in my opinion – the most architecturally unique library on campus. There are two levels, one above and the other extending a fair distance underground. 

Large skylights and glass windows allow for a good amount of natural light to flood the space. The library is equipped with plenty of legal material on the shelves to give it a typical library feel, if you’re into that. 

The lower level includes an array of tables, group study rooms and quiet desks hidden behind rows of movable document shelves. If you’re the type of student who likes to study in absolute silence, law students are good company.

Follow The Daily Wildcat on Twitter