Mailbag

Students should have realistic expectations of advisors

It is difficult to respond to all of the points raised in Heather Price-Wright’s Monday op-ed piece “”Academic advisors shouldn’t feel like enemies.”” Recognizing that there is always room for improvement, a couple of her points require clarification.

Academic advising should not be confused with the act of registering for classes, currently clumped into a five week period called Priority Registration, or what Ms. Price-Wright calls “”advising season.”” Further, academic advising should not be confused with course availability. If academic advising were only about ‘what to register for next semester’ then all students would really need is a SAPR. Academic advising is much more than following a prescription to graduation. It comes down to supply and demand.

I understand why it’s natural to think of meeting with an advisor during the period of priority registration, but the fact is when the majority of undergraduate students try to schedule an appointment with their advisor during a compressed five week period, it becomes Mission: Impossible given the number of advisors and number of students. While having the classes available that students need to graduate is critical (and not of advisor control), the times/days/places they are being offered ultimately has little to do with academic advising. Academic plans can be built any time of the year.

If a student meets with their advisor only once a semester and only during priority registration, there is a reduced likelihood of a meaningful advising relationship. Limiting oneself to advising during priority registration is like limiting oneself to speed dating. The good news is that most advisors are here all year. The time to explore potential options for requirements and discuss big picture issues is best accomplished during any of the other 42 weeks a year.

If we can modify student behavior such that they try to avoid routine advising appointments during priority registration when possible, I believe there is opportunity to create a more positive relationship between advisors and students.

Roxie Catts, director, Advising Resource Center

‘Israel Apartheid’ week timing shows disrespect for Judaism

The upcoming Israeli Apartheid week is taking place during the Jewish High Holiday of Passover. The original date requested by the organization for their presentation was not available at the UA, and they were given this date instead. The national Israel Apartheid week (IAW) took place March 1-9.

Passover is more widely observed in the Jewish community than any other holiday. Jews celebrate with a meal called a Seder, where they reflect on the story of the Exodus, when G-d brought the children of Israel out of Egypt, created a covenant between the people of Israel and Himself, and made them into the Nation of Israel. This is one of the major holidays on the Jewish calendar.

With this scheduling and the one-page ad bought in the Daily Wildcat by the movement on the day of Israel-Palooza (which was full of incorrect information), it is clear the anti-Israel community on campus has no respect for the “”other side.”” Holding this event on one of Judaism’s holiest days guarantees they will see as little Jewish opposition as possible.

Many Jewish students are making an effort to be here for this event, when the IAW erects its 20-foot wall but, most will not let this event ruin their Passover. We are prepared and are familiar with the reactions IAW has caused on campuses nationwide. Riots and violence have occurred on some campuses. This fact will probably be denied. It’s likely the one thing the IAW will not talk about, considering the reason the wall was erected in Israel. Its purpose was to stop Palestinian terrorism and suicide bombers from entering the State of Israel. Since its construction there has been over a 90 percent drop in violence. This was the wall’s only purpose and result.

The Jewish and pro-Israel community will not walk quietly into the night and we will not allow the possibility of violence to deter us. We have seen it before. We will not allow events planned on our holidays to keep us from having a presence on campus in order to present the facts and reasons for the wall. We conduct ourselves with dignity and give factual, documented information that has not been manipulated for our own agenda. We admit when we are wrong and when Israel makes mistakes. We do not hide the truth because we don’t need to.

You say you want to play fair, but you blatantly do not. For once, please have a little respect. Actually practice what you preach.

Adam Bellos, Judaic studies junior